08. Brown-haired Misery

Pacifica Pines

     "Gideon, do you believe in ghosts?" I asked, hesitantly. I was reading the Journal, flipping through the pages. I was sitting on the brown barrel, and Gideon was sitting on the large earth globe and spinning on it.

     He had his arms spread out as he spun around it with a goofy smile on his face. 

     This was good progress, and it's been two weeks since 'the incident'. We don't talk about it anymore and we haven't seen the Gleeful twins since then. Either we avoided them like the plague, or they did.

     Our lives have mellowed down a bit, and I've regained some of my anger and make sure I don't blow up around anyone else like I did with Dipper flipping Gleeful.

     "I believe you're a big dork," giggled Gideon as he kept spinning on the globe. I scowled at him and put my pencil on the globe and it stopped suddenly. Gideon fell off and landed on the floor. "Argh!"

     The door to the Mystery Shack opened with a 'creak' and Bud walked in with a scowl.

     "Deuce! Wendy! Eh, she's not here, oh - ah - Robbie!" he grumbled. "I'm headin' out, you two are gonna wash the bathrooms, right?" Suddenly, Bud started grinning as he pointed at them questioningly.

     "Yessir!" barked Deuce.

     "Absolutely not," said Robbie as he saluted him, copying Deuce.

     "Ha-ha!" Bud let out a hearty laugh, "You stay outta trouble," he said, closing the door and disappearing from view.

     "I'm going to go clean the bathrooms now," said Deuce as he grabbed the mop and bucket and marched up the stairs.

     "Hey guys, wanna come with me?" grinned Robbie.

     "How about no."

     "Heck yeah!"

     "Fine, be a wuss, Paz. Let's go,  Gideon," teased Robbie, "Take care of the Shack, will ya?"

     "I'm fine on my own, and my shift ends in..." I looked towards my watch, "Ten minutes!" I chirped happily.

     "Deuce'll take over after you," he shrugged and grabbed Gideon and they both walked outside.

     I leaned against the wooden table, flicking through the pages. There were so many things, from ghosts to monsters to gnomes! I began to read a page when I heard the bell ring from the door.

     "Welcome to the Mystery Shack," I called out, my eyes never moving from the book. My eyes soaked up each and every bit of the information that was written in this book.

     "Not even going to say a hello, sweetheart?" I heard a familiar voice say. My head immediately shot up and I scowled by instinct, "I'm hurt," said Dipper, feigning a look of sadness and put a hand on his chest.

     He was wearing a dark blue vest with a light blue shirt that was tucked into high waisted black slacks. I glanced down to his shoes, which were dark blue converse.

     "Done checking me out, dear?" he said in a smug tone. I wanted to give him a snarky reply but held my tongue. I was tired and I didn't want to deal with him.