26. Acidic Jokes

Pacifica Pines

     "Uh.. Hey, Gids, what's up?" I said, shifting from one foot to another. The feeling of being watched crept up my back, and it made me feel unsettled. I don't know who other than Gideon was watching me and so my stomach started twisting into little knots. 

    "And what, may I ask, have you been doing? Frolicking through the sunset with one of the Gleeful twins!" spat Gideon in a fit of rage. His usually pale face was fuming red, and I could only imagine smoke coming out of his ears.

    "Look, Gids, I'm tired, can we talk about this in the morning? Please?" I asked, sighing and pressing my fingers to my forehead. My heart was still thumping from a weird satisfaction of excitement. Maybe it was because I stayed up late. With a guy. Who's special.

     That thought made my cheeks burn red.

    "Fine," groaned Gideon, unclenching his tiny fists and stomping back upstairs. I took a deep breath of relief and took off my bag and threw it on the couch, walking into the kitchen. My throat felt like the Sahara Desert, parched and dry.

    Grabbing a glass and filling it up with water, I gulped it down my sand-paper like throat. That was, until a dark figure moved. I immediately spit water out and choked, and the dark figure moved towards me and laughed a little.

    "Hey, Paz," grinned Grendon, the dark figure.

    "It's you!" I choked.

    "Yeah, it's me," said Grendon, rubbing the back of his neck.

    "What are you doing here?" I asked, setting the glass down and wiping my mouth with my sleeve.

    "Gideon let me come over," shrugged Grendon, turning around and walking towards the entrance of the kitchen, "I'll see you tomorrow, I guess. Goodnight, Pacifica," nodded Grendon towards me.

    "Um, yeah, okay, uh - goodnight!" I chirped back, awkwardly. A billion thoughts were running through my mind, like one for instant was; ARE GIDEON AND GRENDON GAY TOGETHER OR NO!? But that's just me.

    I took another deep breath, and began to clean up the mess I made. After that, I began to check if everything was locked, and made sure the front door was locked so no burglars would rob this rip off. As I reached the front door, I decided I'd catch fresh air and then go back in, so I went outside and closed the door softly.

    Rubbing my hands together as the winter air drifted by, chilling me to the bone, I saw tufts of smoke in the air. Curiosity shot through me and I walked forward, hugging myself through the bitter air. As I got nearer to the cause of the smoke, I could hear soft breathing.

    I turned to the corner, only to find Acid leaning against a tree with a cigarette in hand. His eyes seemed to be bloodshot and never stayed in one place, nervously glancing at everything. His eyebrows were furrowed together as though in thought, and his mouth in a small frown.

    His usual laid-back demeanor was gone, and his shoulders were slightly hunched up and the cigarette loosely held within two fingers. His hair looked like a mess, as though they were run through many times.

    "Acid!? A cigarette? Are you mad!?" I hissed at him, marching up at him indignantly. He turned his head slowly, completely unalarmed at my presence.