28. Ice Cream or I Scream?

Pacifica Pines

       I felt like someone had carved a hole in my heart and left it there to rot and shrivel up to nothing. The phone kept ringing and each time I would end it. I took a deep breath, calming myself. I'm being irrational, and it's not like we're together or anything, my mind chided. At least let him explain himself, I chided myself again.

       I pressed the green button and brought it up to my ear and spoke a quiet 'Hello?'

      "Hey, sweetheart, oh God, sweetheart, please just listen to me, okay? I can explain this or whatever this - " he rushed in a breathless tone. My erratic heartbeat considerably calmed down from listening to his voice.

      And that's when I realized I was falling too hard and there was no going back because I was already ten feet head over heels for this brown haired misery. I was about to speak but I heard something that broke my heart even further than it already was, and it was like the girl Grenda was shoving her hands on my heart and ripping it to shreds.

       "Dipper, get back here! I want to punch you, in the mouth, softly, because I love you!" a voice whined in the background, giggling hesitantly.

      "Dipper?" I asked in a quiet voice, trying to remain calm because I didn't know what to feel right now. One side of me was telling me that I should trust Dipper and listen to him first, but the other side was to hang up the phone and shove tubs of ice cream down my throat and let mascara run down my face.

      "Oh my God, sweetheart, ignore her, and please - goddamn it - listen to me, please," he pleaded in the phone, his voice hurried and breathy. "I swear, it was one kiss, I swear! Who told you? Did Grenda tell you? Gideon? Oh God no, did that bratty Acid tell you? I swear to God it was one kiss!"

     He said Acid's name as though it were poison to his tongue, and he said it in distaste.

     "So, Gideon and Acid both know? Even Robbie?" I said, swallowing a lump that formed in my throat. Tears bubbled my vision and I felt them roll down my cheeks. I took a shaky breath and composed myself. "When were you going to.... to tell me this?"

     "I swear, sweetheart - "

     "P-please don't call me sweetheart anymore," I said shakily into the phone. More tears streamed down my face and I felt my throat constrict and form a lump again, and the tug at my heart that just made even more tears blur my vision. I quickly rubbed my eyes and took another breath, but it seemed like my lungs wanted to fail on me.

      "W-what?" Dipper sounded crestfallen, but he broke me too. "Uh - o-okay, can we talk about this? I can't today though, I've.... I've got to do something," he sounded as though he wanted to desperately tell me something but I was having none of it. I felt merciless right then.

      "Dipper, if you are choosing me between whatever the heck you are doing, then don't choose me because I don't want to be a second priority," I choked out, tears blurring my vision and my heart thundering against my ribcage. I felt like I was breaking into little pieces, and my heart was exploding. Sadness shot through my veins as I slowly sat down on the floor.

      "Paz, sweetheart - " 

      "Don't," I said, hanging the phone call and sitting against my bed and staring at the wall in a lifeless manner. That was when my phone started ringing again, but this time it was a picture of a winking Acid. I looked at it, and waited for it to end. But it didn't. So I picked it up in a groggy manner.

      "Paz, Pacifica, Pacific Ocean, Blue eyes, blondie, baby, wassup," rambled Acid, he sounded as though he were walking and doing something.

     "Uh - yeah?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.

     "So, did -  uh - Prince Charming call you?" said Acid into the phone. I could already imagine him smirking. And that's when the waterworks decided to show up again.

     "Not. Funny."

     "Hey, have you been crying?" he said in a worried tone. I heard a crash and then Grendon screaming at him to pick it up. "I WILL, GOD, YOU'RE NOT MY MUM!" Acid yelled back.

      "WAIT TILL YOUR MOTHER HEARS ABOUT THIS!" growled Grendon in the background.

      "WAIT TILL YOUR MOTHER HEARS ABOUT THIS!" mimicked Acid in a higher pitched voice. Acid took a sharp intake of breath and exhaled slowly. "Hey, how 'bout I come over in like... what? Two hours, alright with ya?"

     "No."

     "Perfect, I'll see ya then, Pines," he cheerily said into the phone and ended the call. A pang of hurt shot through me as I heard the familiar last name that Dipper used to call me until it became sweetheart. I pressed my hands onto my forehead and started sobbing again.

      Who knew that one boy could make me feel so much?

      ~

      "Well, Robbie and Wendy are at Wendy's house, Gideon has gone over to Grendon's, and I'm heading over to the Pub, okay?" muttered Bud as he counted his dollars one by one. I nodded meekly.

     "You can close the Shack, won't be much today so just laze around at home, don't do anything bad, okay, kid? See ya!" yelled Bud as he opened the front door and marched outside.

     I went immediately inside and into the basement where the comfy sofa and small television was located. I was about to snuggle myself into the couch when I heard the doorbell. I groaned and got up.

      "What?" I snapped as I opened the door, only to see Acid with a lollipop hanging from his lips.

     "Hello to you too, Pacifica," he nodded, coming inside with two plastic bags. He marched downstairs to where I was going to sit. He opened the bags and took out a two tubs of ice cream and threw me a spoon when I followed him.

     "Ugh, what are you doing - oh!" I groaned.

     "I'm fine and dandy, thank you for asking," he replied back as he opened my tub and handed it over to me. He opened his own and scooted over to the TV and plugged in a USB and put on a movie.

     "Is this a date? Because if it is, then how dare you - "

     "No, but it can be if you want," he said giving me a sly smile. When he saw that I wasn't going to buy it, he shook his head and shrugged, "It's a friendly hangout, doesn't always need to be romance, y'know?"

     "Yeah..." I muttered, shoving spoonfuls into my mouth. We were watching a horror and I was fine with it, I could handle it. I wasn't some sissy, but my heart would thunder occasionally. And at one part I screamed, and the other I cried. But some parts, I cried not just because the dog died.

      Because of what happened between me and Dipper.

     "And I thought I was moody," mumbled Acid as he glanced at me halfway through the movie.

Published: May 23, 2016 | Reads: 10.7k | Goal: 10.9k