Chapter 17- Counting Stars

[Joey P.O.V]

What?

The?

Heck?

Lisa? Helping?

Wow…

I look at Shane and he was just as surprised as I was.

“Is there something wrong?” the doctor asks.

“Um…no. Just surprised that she would help. Are you sure it says Lisa Schwartz…?” I ask.

“Yes. Our emergency room attendant documented it. She did not stay though; it says she had some place she had to go.

“Probably to that meeting!” I say out loud. “Shane she is probably meeting with Mike and Luke’s cousin Jimmy!”

“I’ll be back in ten minutes…I need to get medicine for your mother. Press the emergency button if something happens.”

“Okay. Thanks.” Shane says.

“Shane do you think…?”

“Joey I think she was serious about leaving us alone. Seriously.”

“But what about Mike?”

“Maybe she went to tell him to leave us alone as well. I don’t know. But I need to call her.”

“Okay. I’ll watch your mom.”

“Okay thanks.”

I don’t think we should trust Lisa…

I mean she set up that entire thing with Mike and Jimmy. And now suddenly she’s forgiven? Come on Shane…

I don’t want him to get stuck again…

I sit back down and look at Theresa sleeping soundly.

I walk over to her.

“Theresa…I know you just think me and you son are just friends but…I love him. And he loves me too. I want you to see how happy we are together. He means the world to me and-“ I start to tear up. “Just please wake up. Please live through this. Shane needs you…and so do I. I need you to be okay.” I hold her hand that is lying down on top of her still blanket. “I love Shane. I just want you to know that.” I walk back over to the chair and sit down. Not ever had I felt so anxious. I just needed to hope that she would open her eyes.

[Shane P.O.V]

I walk outside the room to call her. Joey let me have his phone since I forgot mine. I need to thank her for saving my mothers life. If she didn’t do that, my mom could have been dead.

“Hello?”

“Hey. Lisa. It’s me Shane.”

“Oh hey Shane. Look I’m kind of really busy…”

“Oh okay. I just wanted to say…Thanks. Thanks for saving my mom’s life. I owe you.”

I did not hear an answer. I look at my phone screen and see the call ended.

Bitch.

Maybe Joey was right about not trusting her. Maybe she didn’t save my mom. She just had some one else say it was her…?

[Lisa P.O.V]

I hung up.

Not because I wanted to.