Chapter 34- Safe

Chapter 34- Safe.

“Joey?”

I turn around and see the same little girl from about a week before.

“Melissa?”

She gives me a huge hug.

“Where’s your parents?”

She looks up at me and replies, “I ran away. From my mom.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. Wha-Where’s Shane?”

I look down at the shaking floor. “Well I guess we can both say we lost someone.”

“What do you mean? You two were together!”

The seat next to me was not filled so I patted it to signal her to sit.

“Look…we got into a huge argument and things took a wrong turn…”

Tears start to stream down her small little face. I start to become very worried. Were we her strength to keep fighting for her life?

“But what’s more important is you, where are you planning on running away to?”

She wipes the tears from her eyes. “To you guys.”

[Shane P.O.V]

It was the next morning. The bright sun rays gave a stinging sensation to my pale skin. I was still outside.

“Shit…”

I had redness all over my arms.

What was I even doing here?

Then I remembered…

I started for my car.

[Joey P.O.V]

“How old are you sweetheart?” I ask her.

“9.”

“Oh my gosh…”

“I’m sorry…I shouldn’t have ran away…I put too much pressure on you now.”

“No! It’s not you…But what exactly was your mother doing to you?”

“Ever since my father passed away two years ago….She’s been taking out her anger on me. Every time someone mentions him or something reminds her of him she takes all her pain out on me.” She lifts up her sleeve to reveal a ton of scratches and bruises all over her upper and lower arm. “So I always wear long sleeve shirts, to hide it.”

With everything I had left to ask her, I ask “How did you get on this flight?”

“Well it was a pretty empty flight, because of the time. So I just begged the front attendant and told her I’d repay her once /I was safe. I guess she felt bad and gave me a ticket.”

“Don’t worry Melissa. You’ll be safe.”

“Really?”

“Yes I promise.”

[Shane P.O.V]

With tears streaming down my face I still tried to drive.

I didn’t quite know where. But somewhere. Safe.

I was shaking from the overwhelming pain I felt. I must have slept on something. Maybe a rock? Or maybe it was the pain in my heart. I felt pain for Joey. And myself. We were perfect.