Chapter 67

A Baby Mockingjay 67

Chapter 67

Peeta and I wait in the trees, hiding in a bush from any harm, waiting for the feast to begin. I was starving, I had lost one of our packs when I got stuck in the river, it had all the food and the knives. I had shot a few rabbits but I can't cook them without anyone noticing the fire. I hope there will be food at the feast. Both Peeta and I's water supply was almost up. It felt as if it was 100 degrees out, I was sweating but at the same time trying to conserve my water.

"Katniss." Peeta calls me from my daze. I look at him then to the cornucopia where a table had appeared. It was full of nice foods, weapons, and water. I hear the bush rustle from not to far away and three District 4 tributes walk from the trees just to be shot dead with a spear that is pulled back without someone even touching them. Their cannons sound and they are removed from the arena.

"What do we do?" I whisper to Peeta.

"I don't know, if we leave towards the cornucopia we'll be killed." Peeta says.

"Peeta, I know." I say sadly leaning back, laying my head on Peeta's shoulder.

"Everything alright?" He asks, resting a hand on my belly. I think of how no other tributes know I'm pregnant, if they knew, it would make me a bigger target to them.

"Yeah, just a bit scared." I tell him.

"About what?" Peeta asks.

"The baby."

"Why?"

"If the other tributes find out they'll be after me." I tell him.

"That's why you aren't going into the feast, you are going to stay here in this bush."