Chapter 41

A Baby Mockingjay 41

Chapter 41

I slide to the ground, catching hold of the pack. I hear screams of careers finding their victims. I know if I don't run I will soon be the next victim. I hear foot steps, I look up and see a boy, I think District 8 holding a hatchet. I crawl back as he's about to snap his arm back and launch the hatchet at he gasps and falls to him knees. I see Cypress behind him, a knife laid in the boys back. I stand up quickly, looking at her.

"Katniss run! I'll watch Peeta!" She tells me, I don't answer I just run to the trees. I continue to run and run. I find a tree and climb up it, watching to see if anyone was following me, but no one runs by. I look through my pack, rope, a canteen of water, gloves, socks, a small pack of dried fruit, water purifier, a blanket, and matches. It was good, just no weapons. I look down from my perch in the tree. A young boy runs by, trailing not far behind him, Silver, a boy from 1. He had won the games once. But almost died, he had his neck cut badly and was falling to the ground, he used his last knife to kill his opponent, crowning him victor. I hope no one notices me up in the tree. I climb a bit higher just in case.

"Katniss!" I hear someone call. My eyes widen, who is that. Who ever it is, is talking quietly. I look down and see Peeta quietly walking around. I sling my back over my shoulder and climb down. When I'm low enough I jump into his arms.

"Are you okay?" He asks right as I hug him. I nod.

"Are you?" I ask.

"Perfect. Come on we have to get moving." He says. I nod in agreement and lead the way. I am upset, I don't have a bow or any kind of weapons.

"Did you get a weapon?" I ask Peeta. He also had a pack.

"Cypress gave me 3 knives." He says. "She had so many knives, she probably had half of the ones that were there." Peeta chuckles. Cypress. Is she okay? I hope she is. A canon that goes off is what makes me jump into Peeta's protecting arms. I count the cannons in my head, 17. There is 31 of us left. I think of Jackson and Alice, are they still alive? We walk through the forest to the sound of water till we find a stream coming right through it. I know there is likely to be a lot of tributes around this area.

"Peeta, can I see those knives?" I ask. I need to protect both of us in someway. He hands me two, telling me he's gonna keep one just in case. I slowly walk towards the water, Peeta watching my back.

"What way do we go?" Peeta asks.

"Up stream, we'll see where that takes us." I whisper. We walk beside the stream, but in the trees enough that no one can see us. We walk until the ground gets rocky and the trees end. I stay in the safety of the trees, carefully looking around before stepping into the clearing with Peeta behind me. I walk forwards towards a small water fall.

"Do you think u can climb up these rocks?" I ask Peeta. He nods. I climb up, it was really not that high. I grab Peeta's hand and help him up. We continue to follow the stream till it begins to get cold and Peeta insists we find shelter. I find a small hole in the rocks, I look inside, inside it is a wide space. I throw the packs in and then let Peeta climb in. I follow after him.

"Have you seen what is in your pack?" I ask. He shakes his head no. I open his pack and find rope, a canteen with no water, more water purifier, a sleeping bag, socks, matches, the night vision glasses, and another knife. It was a good pack. The anthem begins to play, I crawl out if the small cave with Peeta beside me. It was getting pretty cold. I pray that I don't see Cypress or Alice or Jackson in the sky. I watch as the tributes appear in the sky.

District 2 boy. District 2 girl. Both District 2 boys and one of the girls. Three of the 5 tributes and all of the 6. A boy and a girl from 9. District 10 boy and girl. A District 11 girl, and, Jackson.

"Jackson." I whisper. I crawl back into the cave. I wonder how Alice is doing. And Cypress. I pull out the sleeping bag and blanket from the packs and set them up.

"I'll take the first watch. Katniss you get some sleep." Peeta tells me as he crawls back into the cave. I just nod and hand him the night vision glasses.

"I'll try and camouflage the front of the cave so we can both sleep tomorrow." I say as I nestle into the sleeping bag. I insist that Peeta keeps the blanket so he doesn't get cold. He nods and takes it. As I drift off into sleep he holds onto my hand, making me feel safe as I fall asleep.