Chapter 40

A Baby Mockingjay 40

Chapter 40

I sit in the launch room with Dayo, waiting before I have to get into my tube that will lead me to the arena. I think of Willow and how she has to watch me come and kill my opponents. I let out a breath.

"30 second." A voice calls. I let out a breath and stand up. I begin to walk towards my tube when Dayo grabs my wrist. I turn and look at him. He secures something onto my coat collar and smiles.

"Good luck Girl on Fire." He says before kissing me on the forehead.

"10 seconds." I give him a light smile before walking to my tube and climbing in. The glass seals around me. A wave of fear swings over me as the ground beneath me is lifted. I am blinded by the bright light. Once my eyes adjust, I look around the tributes for Peeta. I find him 10 tributes away from me. The grass is green and fresh behind us are trees. I spot a bow, I want to run and get it but its in the middle of the cornucopia, I would be unprotected. I notice the back that wasn't to far in front of me. I look back at Peeta then back to the pack.

"10" the count down begins. I ready myself to run.

"9" I look at Peeta then to my opponents around me.

"8" I think of Willow who will be watching this.

"7" I look at the woods behind me, the place where I will find safety.

"6"

"5"

"4" I look at the bow that lays in the cornucopia.

"3"

"2"

"1" the gong rings out, and I jump off my block to the pack.

Let the 76th Hunger Games, begin.