Chapter 75

A Baby Mockingjay 75

Chapter 75

•Peeta's POV•

I continue to run through the forest, an unconscious Katniss in my arms. I can't get up a tree with Katniss in my arms. I find a hole under the roots of a tree that I set Katniss in, I cover her in dead leaves before running off again leaving Katniss safely under the tree, still holding into life. I'm running when I skid to a stop and come back to Katniss, crawling in next to her, covering both of us with leaves. I stay close to Katniss, laying my head on her chest so I can her her heart and be assured that she is still alive. I hear the careers running bye yelling at each other, especially at Slate, for not killing Katniss earlier.

"Shut up!" Slate yells. I move closer to Katniss, still listening to her heart beat.

"They went this way! They couldn't be far! Peeta is carrying around that pregnant bitch anyways!" Slate yells. This angers me, but I can't leave Katniss.

"Come on." Slate commands as they all walk off. Brush the leaves off us as it begins to get insanely hot. I see Katniss' face expression change, her face becomes pale. And I hear a cannon sound.

"No." I whisper.

"Katniss! No!" I exclaim.

"Katniss..." I say under my breath as tears fall down my face. I lift her up into a hug, not wanting her to leave.

"Katniss, don't leave." I beg.

"Peeta, what's going on?" A weak voice asks. I pull Katniss away from me, her face was still very pale but her eyes were open, and she was breathing.

"Your alright!" I exclaim, I'm about to pull her into another hug, but she begins to cough horribly and begins to wheeze.

"Here." I say handing her a canteen of water and helping her sit up. But she refuses it and curls up holding her stomach.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Peeta, I don't know." She says before coughing again.

"Katniss, I'm not you, I can't feel your pain, you have to tell me what's going on." I tell her. I see the tear fall down her cheek as she breaks into sobs.

"It hurts!" She exclaims, clutching her stomach. I think of how the baby could be doing this to her or if the child was sick. I reach into the pack and give her some bread I had grabbed at the feast. She nibbles on it, before dropping it again.

"Katniss please eat." I beg. She shakes her head. I bite my lip and lay down next to her, holding onto her tight.

"You were supposed to run." She tells me.

"I couldn't watch them kill you then see you in the sky." I tell her.

"Peeta, I don't feel good." She tells me.

"It'll all be okay, just rest for a bit, eat something and drink some water, you'll get better." I say before kissing her forehead. She nods and nestles close to me, holding onto me, "Don't leave." She begs.

"I won't. I promise."