Chapter 38

A Baby Mockingjay 38

Chapter 38

Peeta is once again willing to risk his life for mine, I know there is no way both of us can make it out alive for a third time.

"Katniss, Peeta." Dayo calls from beside us. I stand up and walk over to him along with Peeta.

"Let's go before you four get into anymore trouble." Haymitch growls. He's holding Alice and Jackson my the wrists.

"What did they do?" I whisper to Peeta. He shrugs as we step into the elivator that takes us upstairs. Once we make it up there I head strait to bed, changing into a tang top and climb into bed. Peeta stays out with the others to watch interview recaps. I stare at a wall thinking of how Diamond and Bolt and Slate had asked Peeta and I to join the careers. Could it be a cheap lie just so they can kill us? Or would they actually help us? I can't think about that, but they are probably gonna come after me after what I had said, "Sorry but no, I actually plan on getting back to my daughter." Diamond seemed so angry when I had said that, as if I had insulted her in a way.

I fall asleep just to awake screaming but no one is there to comfort me. I wrap a blanket around me and walk down to the living room. I find Peeta reading a book, he has almost drifted off into sleep. I walk over and curl up on the couch besides him. I just want to be with him.

"Nightmares?" He says before wrapping his arm around me. I nod and nestle closer to him.

"What are you reading?" I ask sleepily.

"How to kill a Mockingbird." My eyes widen.

"Peeta!" I laugh.

"It's something about how Snow returned. How is it possible? He choked when you killed Coin." Peeta explains. I nod and shrug. We're two days away from the games, I don't have time to think about this.