PART I

PROLOGUE

Margo Rose Devereaux

Her name was the only thing she remembered.

She couldn't remember anything else, not even how she had come to stand in front of an old, gothic cathedral that seemed to be abandoned. That is, until a tall, blonde man strolled out of the Institute, eyeing Margo.

His general aura made Margo think he was waiting for her.

And he was.

"Margo, right?" he asked, staring down at the thirteen year-old.

Her brows furrowed and her fingertips tightened their grip on the strap of her backpack. Her mind was racing; thoughts popped out of nowhere. She tried to come up with reasonable, possible solutions as to why she couldn't recall anything or why this man seemed to be waiting for her.

"How do you know me?"

Her voice was anything but a squeak. She didn't understand where this sudden confidence came from or why she wasn't currently hassling the man with questions. She was eerily calm.

He smiled softly down at her, reaching a hand out to mess up her hair playfully. "My name is Hodge Starkweather. I've been expecting you."

Margo gazed past the man, to where he had left the cathedral door open. Inside, she could see fallen portraits, peeling paint, broken furniture. She glanced back at the man, frowning. "Where am I? Why can't I remember anything?"

He didn't bother responding. Instead, he held a hand out, waiting as she reluctantly took it. They slowly entered the cathedral, Margo never fully understanding what was happening. Given, she had her guard up at all times.

As they entered the foyer, Hodge slipped a hand in his pocket, taking out a lean, metallic object and holding it out to Margo. "May I?" She outstretched her hand, not exactly sure why she suddenly held so much faith in the stranger. He ran the object over her forearm, resulting in a burning sensation creeping up her upper body.

She winced slightly, seeing a tattoo adorning her left arm. "It's called a rune," Hodge informed, "And it allows you to see this."

And suddenly, the fallen portraits were floating back up into place and the paint seemed to be undoing all its years of peeling, and the furniture rose back to its original position and looked as good as new.

The cathedral wasn't just a cathedral anymore. Past the foyer rested some type of institution, a hideout of sorts. People were walking past the pair, decorated in runes, just like the one Margo had. They headed towards the advanced technology that lined the walls and the spaces of the main room.

Hodge urged her to step into this world, one she had never been aware of. She did so, observing her surroundings. "This is called the Institute. You were brought here upon your own will."

She turned at his words, her wavy dark brown hair moving fluidly as she did so. "My own will? Why can't I remember anything?"

"Margo, you're special. You came here because there was nowhere else for you to go. You can't remember anything because you don't want to."

She frowned. "Why wouldn't I want to remember anything?"

"That's a question you've got to ask yourself. And if want it enough, you'll remember," he replied.

Margo's thoughts were cut off as a tanned brunette, looking to be around the same age as her, rushed past, hiding behind Hodge. He smiled brightly. "Good evening, Isabelle," he greeted.

"Hi, Hodge." Her eyes trailed off to see Margo. "Who's this?" Isabelle's head popped out from behind Hodge, grinning over at Margo.

"This is Margo. She's new."

The brunette held a hand out to Margo, suddenly shifting to slightly crouch behind Margo. "Hi, I'm Isabelle. Sorry for using you as a human shield but I am currently hiding out from Alec."

"Who's Alec--" Margo was cut off as a dark-haired boy, looking undeniably similar to Isabelle, sauntered into the room.

His eyes barely scanned around before he saw his little sister hiding behind another brunette. "Izzy!" He rushed forward, barely giving Margo any time to react. He bumped into her, making her tumble backwards.

Her eyes squeezed shut as she prepared for the pain from falling that never came. Her eyes opened, seeing the hazel-eyed boy holding her hand to prevent her fall.

He questioningly turned towards Hodge, who properly introduced Margo to Alec.

Alec helped her return to her standing position, never once letting go of her hand. Instead, he shook it, letting a smile adorn his gorgeous face, one that matched hers. "Margo, this is Alec Lightwood. Alec, this is Margo Devereaux. She's going to be staying with us."

"I am?"

"She is?"

Hodge nodded, taking note of the fact that Margo and Alec's hands still hadn't parted ways. "And I have a feeling this is the start of something great."

written: April 21, 2016
edited: April 22, 2016
published: May 1, 2016