twenty-three ; marlec

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: MARLEC

Margo sat at a table in HQ, her body adorned in sweatpants and a t-shirt, her feet resting atop the table

Margo sat at a table in HQ, her body adorned in sweatpants and a t-shirt, her feet resting atop the table. She sorted through the news on her tablet, looking up every so often to see flowers being carried or boxes held.

The brunette's eyes drifted to her parabatai as she made her way towards her. "Bring the flowers out to the wedding tent. Put the lilies up on the dais, and lay the rose petals at the entrance. As for the curtains adorning the wedding tent, let's go for cobalt blue. It's elegant, masculine... Very Alec."

As the women following her obeyed orders and dispersed, Isabelle walked up to Margo, who muttered under her breath, "How are we supposed to get any work done with all this going on?" From beside her, Jace grunted in agreement, his head stuck in a book.

Isabelle rolled her eyes at the two sulking Shadowhunters. "We haven't had a wedding here in years. People are allowed to be excited."

"We have to focus. Have you narrowed down the list of warlocks more powerful than Magnus Bane?" Jace asked. Last night, he'd caught Margo up on all things Clary, from the Jocelyn rescue to how her and Jace shared a father, Valentine. They were related.

And Margo thought she had problems to worry about.

Isabelle sighed as she looked between the two, pulling up a series of head-shots on the big touchscreen. "I've got it down to twenty. But it's going to be hard to figure out which one case that spell on Jocelyn."

Jace grunted. "I don't care how tough it is, we've got to find him. Back at Renwick's, I let Valentine go. I won't make that mistake again."

"We should wake Jocelyn up," Margo inputted, "In case she heard anything about this plan."

"Have either of you spoken to Alec?" Isabelle asked, pin-pointing the exact subject Margo and Jace didn't want to talk about.

The former of the two growled, shutting off her tablet and looking up at Isabelle, taking her feet off the table. "He's probably busy, what with wedding plans and all. And we don't need to talk to anyone."

"Let's just stick to the mission, okay?" Jace added in. Isabelle let out a dejected sigh, nevertheless nodding at her friends. If this was what they wanted, she couldn't exactly change their minds. She walked away from the conversation just as Magnus joined in, Clary coming in a few minutes after.

"Morning," she let out awkwardly, avoiding contact with Jace.

He cleared his throat, replying, "Morning. You just come from training?"