five ; he passes the time

CHAPTER FIVE: HE PASSES THE TIME

They drove for a while, until they reached their destination

They drove for a while, until they reached their destination. Alec opened the door to the back of the van, hopping out and holding a hand out to assist Margo. Though the brunette did not need any help, she adored the kind gesture. It was unspoken but it did not go unappreciated.

They were under a bridge. Graffiti covered the pillars supporting the bridge. Fires made in trashcans lit their way. Old, rustic run-down cars filled the spaces that the tall grass and shrubs were unable to.

"Yeah, this place isn't creepy. Not at all," Simon spoke up once they were all out of the van.

Isabelle chuckled from beside him. "Don't tell me you're afraid."

Simon scoffed, looking over the scenery. "Are you kidding me? I was born afraid... which sounded a lot better in my head."

Margo rolled her eyes, her arm wrapping around Alec's in the dark before he spoke up. "Let's check it out." Jace left Clary behind as he went to go check with his other experienced Shadowhunters.

When Alec pulled Margo towards Jace and Isabelle, the brunette gave her best friend a small smile. "Hey. If something goes wrong... if something happens to her, that's on us. You know that, don't you?"

Jace nodded up at his parabatai understandingly. "Yeah. And you know exactly what'd happen if Valentine gets the Cup before we do. She's lost everything, Alec. I know exactly what that feels like." His eyes wavered to the girl standing beside his parabatai. "You do too, Go, which is why I don't understand your hostility to this."

"Hey." Alec quickly stepped protectively in front of Margo.

Margo could stand up for herself, though. "She had everything, Jace," she simply said, her voice void of emotion. "We never had anything - nothing that we could remember. She had everything and she let it slip between her fingers. That's not our problem."

Jace stared at Margo a little too long before turning back to Alec. "What's your problem with her, anyway? Your family always used to welcome strays."

The comment was worse than the one he had spoken before. Margo's arm fell from around Alec's as she took a step back, not believing her ears. Had Jace Wayland just said what she thought he said?

Isabelle's hand supportively rubbed her parabatai's back. "You were never a stray," Alec replied calmly, turning back to see Margo. "Neither of you were."

"The point is, nothing's changed. We're in this fight together. There's just... one more of us." With that, he turned back to Clary, motioning for her and Simon to follow them into the unknown.

As Margo walked forward, eyes trained on the ground, she walked right into Alec's chest. She looked up, allowing him to grab her hands. "You're not a stray, baby."