two ; dead or alive

CHAPTER TWO: DEAD OR ALIVE

There stood Jace, or rather a hologram of Jace on a warning poster with the words "Wanted

There stood Jace, or rather a hologram of Jace on a warning poster with the words "Wanted. Dead or Alive." written in bold, red letters. Margo felt her breath stuck in her throat, causing the girl to gulp hard, gaining her breath back.

"What's going on?" Alec asked, rushing up to Margo with Izzy by his side. Clary made her way over to her friends, her eyes barely leaving the warning.

The alarm continued to blare as Margo's friends looked over the hologram, each growing a fearful look in their eyes. Margo's anger soon turned to anger as she heard Clary say, "Aldertree said he wanted to rescue Jace."

Margo purses her lips. "Well, that's the last time you listen to the Clave, Clary. Seriously, you've gotta catch up with the rest of us."

"Actually, Clary, I said I wanted to find him," Aldertree corrected, walking up to the group.

Margo scoffed. "Well adding 'Dead or Alive' on there doesn't mean you'll find him; maybe you'll find his body. And if you do, there's going to be hell to pay, Aldertree."

He shot Margo a look before turning his attention back to Clary. "I should be thanking you, really. You gave me the clue to do just that."

"What did you tell him?" Alec snarled at Clary, body hunched over Margo's petite figure. The redhead looked between the brunette and her boyfriend, asking the prior for some help in calming him.

Margo got straight to work, turning to Alec and taking his hand in hers. She didn't say anything, just gave him a peculiar look, one he knew meant that he would have to calm down now and have a tantrum later. She kissed the back of his hand, watching as a faint smile grew on his lips.

As she turned back to Aldertree, his eyes quickly wavered away from hers. "Is this everyone?" he asked a guard, who then turned to another for confirmation. After another quick glance of the large crowd, the guard nodded her head, turning back to the new leader of this Institute. "Fantastic." He clapped, rubbing his hands together as he turned back to the general population. "First up, all Downworlders are forbidden from entering the Institute without my prior approval.

"For those still present, good day. Mr. Graymark..." though Luke refused to leave Jocelyn, Aldertree insisted, watching on with a smirk as Luke left for the exit. He then turned to the only vampire in the room, Clary and Izzy and Margo's friend. "You too... Simon, right?"

"He's not going anywhere," Margo fought, going to stand beside Simon. "Besides, it's almost dawn. Where is he going to go?"

She knew there was a reason for the bad taste in her mouth every time she saw Aldertree.

"Hey, he looks like a smart guy. I'm sure you'll figure something out, Simon." He patted Simon's arm, watching the vampire go only when Luke called to him. He promised Clary and Margo he'd be okay, giving the latter a friendly kiss on the cheek as a thank you for standing up for him.