seventeen ; resurrection

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: RESURRECTION

"The Clave has ordered me to take temporary control of this Institute," Lydia continued, observing Margo and Max, the latter of whom stood behind Margo and Alec, watching past the two's interlocked hands

Maryse walked down to HQ, glaring at Lydia. Finally, her and Margo had something in common - neither really liked Lydia Branwell at all. "Wait a minute. Nobody informed us," she stated.

Lydia walked around, smiling mischievously. "The Clave doesn't need to. And, to repeat myself, it's temporary. Nothing's been decided yet." She walked up to the large touchscreen monitor, messing with it. "But I do need full clearance in order to assess how this Institute is running. Where is Clary Fairchild?" Alec, Margo, Izzy and Maryse glanced among themselves. "I would hope someone here knows."

"She's in the field, training," Alec replied.

She smiled at him and Margo, making the brunette frown as she closed the distance between them. Margo subtly took a step back, her back resting against Alec's chest. "You're telling me she's just out and about in the streets of New York? Valentine's daughter?"

"Isn't she also your cousin?" Izzy snarkily asked, matching Lydia's attitude.

"Distant cousin," Lydia corrected, temporarily turning to Isabelle.

Max stumbled out from behind Margo, instead standing in front of her and letting her rest her hands protectively on his shoulders.

"She's with Jace," Maryse explained.

Lydia walked around the monitor. "The same Jace Wayland who decided to lead an unsanctioned raid against the vampires? I've read the reports."

She walked away with Maryse furiously walking behind her. "Jace might be unconventional, but he's our best soldier."

"And he's a lot nicer to look at," Margo mumbled, making the side of Alec's lips tug up into a smile as he looked at her.

Maryse ignored the pair. "If he's with Clary, then she's in good hands."

"I hope so. And for your sake, all of New York. All of your jurisdiction better be well protected."

And with that, everyone dispersed. Maryse took Max up to his room, away from Lydia. It was probably what all of them should've done.

As Margo and Alec walked past her once again in HQ, Margo huffed. "I'm not a fan."

"Jealous?" Alec teased.

"No," she stated sharply, although she did grab Alec's hand. The boy smiled at her jealousy, having found it adorable. He pulled her closer, pressing a kiss to her neck. "Okay, maybe," she admitted, eyeing the blonde envoy. "I'm still wondering how the hell she caught that arrow."