nine ; hardtail

CHAPTER NINE: HARDTAIL

Margo, Jace and Clary were currently waiting in line at the Hardtail nightclub

"Are you sure this is a good idea? Last time we were here, this place was crawling with vampires." Clary spoke up.

Jace rolled his eyes, crossing his arms. Margo took notice of the leather jacket he wore and cursed herself for not bringing one on this chilly night. "Relax, all Downworlders hang out here. We just came on vampire night."

"Right. And, when is all this going to sound normal to me?"

"I don't know." Jace turned to Margo, who had been awfully quiet and who hadn't perked up at the first opportunity to patrol the perimeter with the Lightwood siblings. Something was off with her, Jace could tell. "Go, you okay?"

The brunette's head popped up as she heard her name, her eyes immediately finding Jace. She hesitated at answering but just as she opened her mouth to do so, Alec and Isabelle joined the trio. Margo's eyes scanned Alec for a few seconds before turning to the ground again. Jace noticed.

"All clear," Alec informed.

Isabelle stepped over to stand by her parabatai, linking arms with her. "Do you think red's my color?" she asked, grazing her hand over the ruby necklace Hodge had given her.

Margo rolled her eyes. "Babe, with a body like yours, everything's your color."

Isabelle seemed content with her answer. "Good point. Damn, I made this necklace look so good." She frowned, hating the thought of parting with it.

Alec grunted from behind her. "Will you take it off? I'm certain Magnus Bane doesn't want drool on his ruby when we make the exchange."

Isabelle smiled mischievously, nudging her parabatai. "You know, I wouldn't be so sure. Most men like it when I admire their jewels."

It was a good double entendre but Margo only gave a small smile to the comment, her thoughts still hanging heavy above her.

"Can you just give it to Jace?"

Isabelle giggled, unhooking the necklace and passing it back to Alec to pass to Jace. "You're such a buzzkill."

Alec, who hadn't glanced at Margo, was suddenly staring at her. The girl had barely acknowledged him since his temper tantrum back at the Institute.

When the five Shadowhunters walked into the club, it was clear that this was the biggest party of the year. The music was lively, the people were toxic - surely Magnus Bane had to be here.

"Blend in," Jace advised, "Keep your weapons ready."

Whilst Clary and Jace headed off to find Magnus, the Lightwood siblings and Margo stared between themselves. "I need a drink," Margo mumbled, quickly stepping away from the two and making her way towards the bar.