twelve ; the loft

CHAPTER TWELVE: THE LOFT

"Why'd you run out?" Alec asked Clary

"Why'd you run out?" Alec asked Clary. "Why'd you let her?" he asked Margo. "What's the point of an invisibility rune if you don't silence your phone? That was childish, sneaking out like that--"

Alec was cut off by Clary's phone ringing. She quickly picked it up. "Simon. Hey. I know I should've called you right back. I'm really sorry. Are you okay?"

As she talked to Simon, Margo turned to Alec, wincing slightly. She grabbed his hands in hers. "On a scale of one of ten, exactly how pissed are you?"

He sighed, letting her off the hook. "I was just worried about you." He pulled her into a hug. "Don't ever do that to me again."

She nodded and then Alec turned to Clary, ordering her to hang up. "That's it, we have to go. Right now."

Clary ignored him, speaking to Simon over the phone. "I'm fine," she insisted, "I'm with Alec and Margo... Okay, fine. I'll meet you at the old shortcut. Bye."

She hung up as Alec looked around. "Mundanes. Look at them. Running around like ants."

Margo rolled her eyes. "Okay, time to go."

Clary scoffed, turning to Alec. "Why do you always look so miserable."

Uh oh, Margo thought. This was not going to end well.

"I don't."

"You do. It must be hard being in love with Margo with everything that's happened--"

Margo's eyes widened as she looked between the pair, each of whom stood on either side of her.

"Excuse me?" Alec seethed, never bothering to look at the topic being discussed.

Clary shrugged. "What? What's the big deal? I was there when that memory came out. Busted, no?"

"We're best friends," Alec excused.

"Alec, just say it, you'll feel better. You're in love with Margo."

He growled. "Forget it. You know what? You're in love with Jace, so there's that."

Clary crossed her arms. "Oh, okay, the middle school comeback? Nice."

Neither noticed the small groan coming from Margo until she spoke up. "Okay, enough. Seriously, you two are acting like children. We have a real problem to solve, okay?" She had decided to let the love confession go, just for now, as they had a mission at hand.