seven ; fun

CHAPTER SEVEN: FUN

The two Shadowhunters made it back to the Institute in record time, sneaking in through the back

The two Shadowhunters made it back to the Institute in record time, sneaking in through the back. After Alec gathered his bow and arrow, Margo helped him rune the arrows.

They were almost finished when Margo heard footsteps near the pair. She tossed a worried look Alec's way before thinking quickly on her feet. She made her way to the table where the arrows lied, pushing them back before hopping up herself. "Alec."

She motioned for him to come forward. When he was within arm's length, she grabbed hold of his t-shirt, pulling him between her legs. His hands immediately rested to either side of her, trapping her as he leaned down. Margo's lips found Alec's neck, leaving trails of kisses along his skin, hoping to distract the intruder.

"Alec. Margo."

Hodge's voice caused the pair to spring apart in mock surprise. Alec turned around to face him, stepping to Margo's side and leaning against the table by her thighs. "Didn't know you two were here."

As Alec started stammering, trying to come up with an explanation, Margo cut him off, taking the lead. She grabbed Alec's hand, a gesture that did not go unnoticed by Hodge. "We were just looking for some privacy. You know, with the whole Clary thing going on, there isn't much time to spend alone."

Hodge cleared his throat. "I was always rooting for you two," he smiled softly. "Ah, Clary, yes. That girl is Valentine's..." The rune on his neck put there by the Clave seared, causing Margo to tighten her grip on Alec's hand. Hodge groaned, taking a big exhale before starting again. He held onto his neck with one hand while the other held his cup of coffee. "... The monster's daughter. There must be some reason why the roaches are coming out of the woodwork again, right?"

Margo nodded slowly, letting him continue. Her arm repositioned itself so it was resting on top of Alec's shoulder. "I'll leave you two to it, then." He raised his cup to them before retreating.

"Hodge," Alec called out before Margo could stop him. He turned back to face the Lightwood. "Thank you."

Hodge smiled, nearing Alec and Margo once again, patting the boy on his other shoulder. "You remind me of me, Alec - a loyal friend standing in the shadow of the chosen one." Margo scoffed lightly, crossing her arms as she watched the two. "Hey... Don't make the same mistakes I did. Look where it got me." He walked away quickly after that.

Margo spared no time in jumping off the table and standing in front of Alec, who still leaned against it. "Hey." She took his face in her hands. "You're not standing in the shadow of anyone. You know that, right?"

He nodded his head, though his eyes never met Margo's. She frowned, leaning down to meet his eyes. "Listen to me, Alec. Seriously, you are not in anyone's shadow. Besides, if you were, don't you think I'd be into Jace and not you?"