eleven ; window into the weird

CHAPTER ELEVEN: WINDOW INTO THE WEIRD

Margo hadn't talked to anyone since they returned to the Institute

She hadn't spoken to Alec or Isabelle. She couldn't even look at Jace.

She had gone straight to her room, shutting the door softly before locking it.

It was clear to the other four Shadowhunters that Margo had felt guilty for letting the demon free. But, none of them blamed her. It was obviously a remarkably unique situation she was in.

They all gathered in the den, each taking a seat on the couch, one by one. Though they never realized it, they had all been thinking the same thing - what would they have done if they were in Margo's position?

Each of them had the same exact answer. None would've done anything different. If they hadn't known their parents and suddenly saw a memory of them, they would all fly off the handle.

That was when the four realized how completely rational Margo's response was.

And they all looked between themselves, silently contemplating whether someone should go up and console the Devereaux girl.

"I'll do it," Jace sighed as he stood up.

Alec shook his head. "I'm practically her boyfriend. I'll go."

Isabelle huffed, crossing her arms. "I'm her parabatai. No one knows her better than me. I should do it."

They all quietly argued among themselves until Clary stood up, nearing the door. "I'll do it," she announced.

"You?"

She shrugged. "Yeah. I mean, unless any of you have erased memories locked away somewhere about your mysterious parents, too?"

They were all left speechless as Clary, the last person they expected to go after Margo, did just that.

She made it up to Margo's room, eyeing the wooden pattern on her door before taking a deep breath and going to knock.

From the inside of the room, Margo was curled up in her bed. Her dress had creases and wrinkles in it. Her shoes were messily taken off on the floor by her bed.

Upon hearing the knock, Margo used the back of her hand to wipe the small amount of tears that had gathered in her eyes. "Go, it's Clary. You mind opening up?"

She wasn't sure why she did it but she did it. She slipped out of bed, walking over and unlocking the door. It opened to reveal a worried-looking Clary, who immediately made her way in, closed the door and turned back to hug Margo, who stood an inch or two shorter.

At first, the brunette was frozen, shocked of what had just happened. Then, slowly, she hugged Clary back, resting her head on her friend's shoulder. "I'm sorry," she whispered out an apology. "I'm sorry I let the demon go. If I hadn't, you wouldn't have had to kill it and we could've still recovered your memories."