twenty-four ; something borrowed

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: SOMETHING BORROWED

As Margo walked down to the hall where her fellow Shadowhunters had decorated for the wedding, she felt her throat close up

As Margo walked down to the hall where her fellow Shadowhunters had decorated for the wedding, she felt her throat close up. This was actually happening. Up until now, it felt a bit unrealistic, like a dream. But now, when she stood facing all the ribbons and the flowers and the smell of perfume in the air, Margo felt constricted.

This was supposed to be her and Alec's wedding and it definitely wasn't supposed to be right now. They were supposed to wait a few years; for God's sake, they were still teenagers!

Her eyes glanced past the bodies in the room to the man stood in the middle at the front, looking drop dead handsome in his white tux and black bow-tie. She seemed to catch his eye as well. Alec shook his head of the thoughts regarding how remarkable Margo looked and turned to Jace.

The brunette sighed, taking her eyes off of Alec when Clary hooked her arm through Margo's.

"You look fantastic," the redhead complimented her friend, fixing a loose curl.

Margo smiled at her, shuffling closer. "Thanks, you too." Clary was wearing a navy blue floor-length dress that suited her body type too well.

"Listen, I know this is hard for you--"

"Clary, I really can't--"

"I'm just saying I'm here for you. We're all here for you."

Margo gave her a soft smile, letting Clary lead her to the front row, where the two girls sat in the middle. She caught Clary and Jace making eye-contact, losing it shortly after a tense look was shared. "Wow, can you spell awkward?" Margo playfully nudged Clary. "I thought I had boy problems." The redhead broke into a smile at her goofball of a friend, glad she was there to lessen the pain.

Simon walked up to them shortly after, making the two girls stand to greet him. "Hey. Sorry I'm late."

"Hey," Margo grinned, giving the vampire a hug after Clary did so.

"Did I miss anything? I left right at sunset."

"Just the usual uncomfortable looks being passed between ex-lovers. No big deal."

Clary shot Margo a look before turning to Simon. "No, you're right on time."

Simon nodded his head. "Cool."

"Simon, you look incredible," Clary complimented.

Margo, without a care in the world, checked out Simon. He definitely did look incredible but something about his choice of clothing was too familiar. "Is that--"

Simon nodded, fixing his suit. "Raphael's. I borrowed it. Embracing the new me. You two look amazing, by the way." Margo blushed, shooting him a grin. "How's your mom?" he asked Clary.

"She's good. Uh, Luke's with her right now, watching over her."

The three friends were interrupted by Brother Jeremiah slamming his shillelagh onto the ground. "Attention. The ceremony is about to commence." Everyone took their seats, with Simon sitting in between Clary and Margo.