six ; suffering

CHAPTER SIX: SUFFERING

The five Shadowhunters entered the gates of the Institute, all thoughts on the mundane they had left behind

"I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than what you people call mundanes?" Clary spoke up, stopping at the foyer and eyeing the others.

Isabelle was the one to answer. "Because we protect humans."

Clary sighed, clearly still very stressed out. Margo groaned inwardly, already expecting the next words that fell out of Clary's lips. "You're right. Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock."

Alec spoke up from beside Margo, a bit uninterested. "There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense."

Clary scoffed at his comment. Before Isabelle could scold him, Margo spoke up, looking at the older Lightwood. "Alec, maybe now isn't the greatest time." She softened the blow, completely sure that whatever Isabelle was going to say was not going to be as nice as Margo.

"Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it," Jace explained.

"But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that? What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, 'Oh, by the way, there's a magic cup I hid on, like, the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone.'"

Margo scowled, rolling her eyes. She understood that Clary was frustrated but she was just overhyping all her emotions now. "Clary, that's enough," she warned.

The younger redhead sighed. "What am I supposed to do now?"

Alec offered a solution, walking ahead of everyone into HQ. "We have to report to the Clave. They have to know what we've learned about Valentine."

Clary stopped him, grabbing his forearm. He eyed her hand on his arm before staring at her. She withdrew her arm slowly, resting it by her side. She couldn't understand why Alec was so comfortable when Margo touched him but so tense and awkward when Clary did so. "What, that he's my father? Great. Fine. Tell them. What good does that do to Simon?"

Margo rolled her eyes. Clearly, the redhead wasn't as smart as she looked. "Clary, it's all connected. Those blood-sucking freaks want the Cup."

"Why? It makes new Shadowhunters."

Alec followed Margo in the rolling of eyes towards the Fray girl. "Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself."

"Plus, it controls demons," Izzy added.

"They'll pose a trade. Simon for the Cup," Jace finished.

Clary groaned. "So, the vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup. Either way, I lose someone I love. What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?"