twenty ; treason

CHAPTER TWENTY: TREASON

As Margo and Isabelle made their way through the front doors of the Institute, Margo did something she hadn't done in a while; she prayed

As Margo and Isabelle made their way through the front doors of the Institute, Margo did something she hadn't done in a while; she prayed. She prayed that Alec wouldn't confront her, she prayed that Operation Save Meliorn wouldn't come back to bite her in the ass, she prayed that her life could go smoothly from now on.

Of course, none of her prayers were answered.

As soon as Margo and Izzy made their way through HQ to go up to their rooms, Alec took notice. He glanced down at Raj, who was talking to him and Lydia about the ambush. "Just, hold on one second," he stated as he eyed Margo, stepping away from Raj and up to the girls. "Where the hell have you two been?"

Margo glanced at Isabelle before looking up at meeting Alec's eyes. "Where we needed to be."

"Away from you and your fiancée," Isabelle added, crossing her arms.

Even hearing it now, after the initial shock had died down, caused an ache in Margo's chest. She promised herself she wouldn't even glance Lydia's way, because she knew that if she did, she would become even more heartbroken than she already was. That was her one rule. And in one second, she broke it, eyeing the blonde as she spoke to Raj a few feet away.

"Jace and Clary are on the run," Alec stated, shifting Margo's green eyes back to him, "I can't protect you if you don't tell me the truth."

Margo glared at him, running a hand through her hair, knowing exactly how crazy it made Alec. She blinked up at him, smiling sarcastically. "We don't need protecting."

Isabelle agreed. "Meliorn's alive. That's all that matters."

Margo softly pushed Izzy towards the staircase, only to be stopped by Alec's hand wrapping around her forearm. She hadn't made any physical contact with him since the news of his engagement. She paused for a moment, staring at the interaction before snatching her arm back.

"Just... Hey, just..." Alec sighed, staring down at the obviously broken girl. "Tell me this: Is there any way that Raj could've seen anything incriminating?" Margo peeked Isabelle's way, raising an eyebrow at her parabatai.

It was clear that Alec had switched sides, making the Clave his first priority - there was no way they could tell him.

Apparently, he sensed the hostility because he sighed deeply before looking between the girls. "You can trust me."

Instead of spewing out the profanities Margo had lined up in response to his angering statement, she simply opted for, "I don't know what you're talking about."