twenty-one ; stressed out

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: STRESSED OUT

"Margo, you're free to leave," Lydia spoke as she and Alec entered through Margo's door into her room, where her and Isabelle sat on the sofa

The brunette stared up at Lydia Branwell, eyeing her suspiciously. "What the hell are you talking about?" Her eyes shifted to Alec.

He walked closer to her and Isabelle, crouching down in front of Margo. "They don't have enough evidence to convict you, Margo. The case was crumbling so they let it go. Right now, Izzy is who they're after."

After taking a moment to understand, Margo crossed her arms, standing her ground. She glanced at her parabatai. "I'm not leaving Izzy here alone."

"You have to," Lydia stated as she stood by the door, her stature stiff as a board.

"I don't have to do anything," she retorted, crossing her arms and allowing her glare to Lydia transform into a worried look to Alec.

He understood what she was doing, but he also understood the repercussions of Margo staying. He stopped crouching, returning to his upright standing position and held his hand out for Margo. She looked at his large, slightly calloused hand then back up at him, meeting his eyes.

Alec didn't have to utter one word. He just gave her a look, one the two shared too often, one they knew too well. It was a look that screamed you have to do this, please, I'm just trying to keep you safe. And, with that one look, Margo caught eyes with Izzy, kissing her cheek and squeezing her hand before taking Alec's hand and letting him lead her out the door.

"How do you do it?" Lydia asked from a few feet behind Margo. Alec walked with her as the two led Margo downstairs. "She wouldn't listen to me and you didn't didn't even have to say a word. She just--"

"I do have ears, you know? I can hear you," Margo intruded, looking over her shoulder at the two. "I'm going for a walk to clear my head."

She didn't wait for a response as she gathered her belongings and headed out the door.

She found herself in front of the Hotel DuMort, and she glanced around before entering. Margo happened to catch Clary and Simon as they walked into the suite as well.

"Why can't we just take what we need and leave?" Clary asked just before noticing Margo enter. "Hey, Go," she nonchalantly greeted. By now, Clary wasn't surprised to see Margo here; it was clear that her and Raphael had something going on.

Margo waved to the pair. "Hi. What's happening?" she asked, smiling.

"Trying to transfuse some human blood that, you know, is against the Accords," Simon casually answered.