twenty-six ; finito

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: FINITO

Soon enough, they were at Magnus' lair, the old Vampire talking to her old love

Soon enough, they were at Magnus' lair, the old Vampire talking to her old love. "So, Magnus, how long has it been? One hundred? One hundred fifty years?"

"One hundred and thirty-eight. Oddly, I haven't missed you," he sassily answered.

"Of course you have, my love."

Margo groaned, checking the time on her phone for the fifth time since they'd entered Magnus' house. "All right, you two can catch up later. Right now, we need to find the Book of the White so we can leave and help Alec."

Magnus turned at her words. "Is Alexander in trouble?"

The brunette shook her head. "Not yet, but he may get himself into some. So, as I said, Book of the White."

Margo turned to Camille, who threw a smirk her way. "And you'll get it, but not without payment." She turned to Magnus. "You of all people should understand that."

He nodded sourly. "Of course. And what is it you require?"

She hummed before answering slowly and cryptically. "A clean slate."

From a few feet behind her, Margo groaned loudly, ready to tear her hair out. "Stop with the bullshit, Camille."

"She wants a Writ of Turning-Me-Into-A-Vampire. And we need you to draft it," Simon answered.

Magnus took a deep breath, momentarily shutting his eyes. "I thought I was done with you."

"We'll never be done with each other." Camille let out a sinister laugh.

"I'm gonna call for backup," Izzy grumbled as she walked away, texting for help. She found her way to Margo as she sat on a couch in Magnus' living room, legs bouncing in anticipation. They sat in silence for a while until Isabelle spoke up. "Go, you need to relax."

The brunette shook her head she locked eyes with her parabatai. "What I need is to help Alec before he gets himself into trouble. Your his sister, Izzy; you should be able to understand that better than anyone."

"And I do, but Alec isn't the one in trouble; Jace is. And we need to figure out a way to help him out."

Margo sighed, holding her head in her hands. "I'm just sick of it, Iz. We're always out helping everyone - helping Simon, helping Camille, helping Jace. I feel like I'm about to fall apart. I just need a break for two seconds. I just need a distraction."

And it was as if she'd rubbed her fingers across a magic lamp and wished it upon a genie. In a matter of seconds, her hands were being pried apart by none other than Alec Lightwood. Upon seeing his familiar and comforting face, Margo leapt out of her seat and into Alec's arm, wrapping herself up in him, tightly.

She inhaled his scent, hearing him mumble incoherently to her as he ran his fingers through her hair. This was exactly the kind of distraction she needed. As she slowly pulled apart, minutes later, he placed a chaste kiss on her lips. "Hey, baby. You okay?"