Running

Kelsey's POV

Running. That's all I have been doing for the past nine days. That's really the only thing you can do to survive. What happened to the world? It's gone. I wished I would have stayed at Griffin's house and wait it out, but when things started to go bad I panicked. I packed Griffin and I some clothes and got into a car and left. The car ended up running out of gas and we were almost surrounded so we got out and ran. That's what we are doing now, running.

I'm surprised Griffin hasn't said a word, but she is scared and so am I.

"Kelsey...... I can't...." Griffin says put of breath, falling behind and now stopping.

"We have to keep going." I say out of breath too while dragging her arm.

I start to pick up the pace and we are running again.

"My.... Body.... Hurts...." She said fixing to start crying.

I sigh and stop running. I look around to try and come up with an idea. We really do need to stop and rest. We can't keep doing like this. I also don't plan on dying anytime soon either.

I look around and spot a healthy, sturdy tree up ahead. I grab Griffin and run over there.

When we get there, I picked her up and she starts to climb up the tree. I then grab our bags and throw them up to her. I start to climb up to her.

When I know everything is safe a d we won't fall, I start to relax. I see that Griffin is already asleep. I can't let her die. I have to protect her and get her to safety. I need a plan.

I lean my head against the tree and soft to doze off, thinking about what I need to do tomorrow.