Lying

Amara's POV

I walk outside to do a perimeter check to see Isaac sitting on my swing on my porch. He looks really sad like he has been crying recently. If he has any problems, he is supposed to go to Kelsey to talk about it.

"Hey kid." I say getting his attention.

He looks up and wipes under his eyes before sitting up straight.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"I wanted to talk to you about something." He says clearing his throat.

"Look. If you have any problems, you are supposed to go talk to Kelsey. She handles all of that." I say and go UK walk down the stairs, but I am stopped by what he says next.

"I don't think she has the answer to this. Only you do because after all you are the leader of this place." He says.

I turn around. I really don't have time for this.

"Fine. What is it?" I say.

"Just wondering about some things, but most importantly, I found out my dad has a tumor in his stomach and doesn't have that long to live. He is going to die soon." He says a little shaky like he is on the verge of crying.

"I'm sorry to hear that." I say and go to leave, but I felt bad for the kid. So i turn around and go back up the stairs and sit beside him. I give him a quick hug and then pulled away.

"What else is bothering you?" I ask.

"Why don't you help the sick? Why do you keep them in that building to fend for themselves?" He fires at me all at once.

"How do you know about that?" I ask.

"Does it matter?" He replies back.

"It's for everyone's safety. Those aren't the sick people. We don't kill the living. When they die, we put them in that building and they turn. We don't bury people because that would basically be this while entire place. So technically they are buried in the building. We ask if they want to be out in the building with the others. If they aren't that sick, they go in my basement, where leopard take care of them." I explain.

"Roma didn't tell me that." He says.

"Because that isn't Roma's job. Her job is to check them out and take the ones that are dying to the building." I look at him.

"Am I going to be punished for getting Roma to tell me?"

"I won't do anything to you or Roma, but only if you tell me where your father is. Don't worry. This will be kit little secret." I say.

"In Roma's house." He blurts out.

I just shake my head. I give him another hug and tell him to go get some rest and I leave to go do the perimeter check, thinking that maybe I shouldn't have lied to him, but it's for the best.