Running Into You

Kelsey's POV

We have been running and running nonstop. Griffin has completely went silent. It's like she just up as couldn't talk, one day. It's actually a good thing because then she won't whine and cry and complain about stupid things.

A while back we were up in a tree, but we had to leave it because the rotters were starting to notice us. I didn't want us to be surrounded and end up dying. So I grabbed our bags and jumped down. It was terrifying at first, but I knew what I had to do. I took off running while I get all the rotters chasing after me and did a circle so I could come back for Griffin. Luckily she stayed in the tree and waited for me. Since then we have been running and walking.

"Can we take a break now."

I hear Griffin say.

"No. We can't."

"Why not?" She asks.

"Because....." I say hesitantly, deciding of I want to tell her the truth or not.

Deciding on the truth I say, "If we stop. We die. Those things are after us. I'm not trying to be bait and wait for them to eat me."

"Oh." Is all that she says.

It's the first time that I have heard her talk in a while.

We start walking to try and get some type of energy to start running through our body.

We are still somewhere in the woods. We just keep going south east thinking that we will hopefully get out of California and into a different state. I know for a fact that we are lost.

We have took at least 3 cars and drove a long ways, but they either run out of gas or they break down. So we just take the woods.

"Where are we? Or do you even know." Griffin says.

"Honestly I think we are lost, but I know that we have been heading south east so we have to be out of California by now. I think that we are in Texas." I say.

"Kind of figured that you didn't know. You are stupid." She pouts.

"Well I wasn't stupid enough to leave you, now was I?"

She just ignores me and runs ahead of me.

"What are you doing?!" I say and run after her.

We run until we see a highway. There a cars, bags, paper, blood, and dead bodies everywhere. We kind of just walk around trying to make any noise. I see that Griffin is shaken in gear so I grab her hand and we keep walking.

I try to shield her away from everything. I find a decent looking car and we run over to it. I check to see if it was unlock. No luck. It's locked. So we decided to keep looking.

After searching for forever we made it to the end of the car pile. We see a car like a few feet ahead. We go and look at it. It's unlock, but there is no keys. We put our bags in the back seat of the car and go search for the keys. I see a dead person with keys in his hand. It's laying down so hopefully it is actually dead and it won't come back.

I grab the keys and get into the car. O crank it and start to take off when I realize Griffin isn't in the car. I get put and start to look for her. Where could she have gone?

"Griffin?" I call out.

I don't her anything or see her.

I'm heading back to the cars that have been abandoned.

I hear sniffles and I turn to my right to see it came from the turned over ambulance. I go over there and see Griffin. I see her dead father tied down to a bed half way out the ambulance. I look further and I see her mother stuck under a car. She is dead too. She is a rotter now.

I kneel down behind Griffin. I can't believe this. Beth is gone.

"Griffin......" I say breathless.

I feel tears start to well up. It's not right. They didn't deserve to die. No one deserves to die.

We just sit there and watch her struggle for a while. I then find a long stick and I go over to her. I take a long look at her. Might as well end it so she can be in peace. It's for the best. She is in a better place now.

"Goodbye Beth. Rest in peace." I say before plunging the stick through her head.

She falls lifeless.

"NOOOOO!" Griffin says and runs away.

"Griffin!" I say and run after her.

She sits by the car that we were getting in, in the first place.

"Get up. We have to keep moving."

"You didn't have to kill her." She says.

"She was already dead. She was one of those things. She was going to kill you." I say trying ringer her to realize that I'm right.

"You killed my mom."

"I didn't. She was a rotter. No come on. We have to go." I say getting serious.

"I'm not going anywhere with a killer." She says and crosses her arms.

"Griffin. I am not playing. Get up."

She still doesn't move.

"Stop being a brat!" I yell, getting fed up with her.

I start to drag her and she start screaming and kicking around violently.

"Hey! Leave her alone! That's a child!" Someone say from behind me.

I turn around to see a young brunette. She looked to be about my age. She was tall, pale, and muscular. She also had brown eyes and she had a little chub on her stomach.

"You don't know what's going on here. So you can leave." I say and put my hands kn my hip.

"You were hurting her. Besides she would rather be with me. She can go with people that won't try to hurt her. Or have killed people. I have a group at a safe place. It's about 100 miles away and I would gladly take that "brat" off your hands." She says rather rudely.

"Who are you?" I reply rudely.

"Amara Vesca. Who are you?"

Author's Note

New character. She is Amara Vesca. She is part of the new group. She is 19. She came from Astoria, Oregon. She is really nice until someone makes her mad. She is played by my sister, Amber. I have 4 more new characters coming soon. If you would like to be a character then let me know.

Thanks or taking the time to read my book. I really appreciate it. You can find me on twitter, instagram, and snapchat.

Twitter: haleyyyyy143
Instagram: haleyyy_143
Snapchat: haleyyy_100

Love you,
- Haley ❤😝