Only Time Will Tell

Amara Vesca's POV

I don't understand why people think I'm rude. I'm just brutally honest. Also I'm nice until someone makes me mad. Like, I'm hoping to treat them how they treat me. You got to be tough in this world, if you want to live.

I'm 19 years old. I'm from Astoria, Oregon. I was visiting family in Texas when the outbreak broke out. Since then I've helped build a safe place and have taken people in. We are now a strong community. We accept new people, but we are careful about who we take. We don't want sick, bit, scratched, or bad people in our group. I'm the leader and I say who stays and who goes. People don't question me. They just do what's say.

I am on my way to taking Griffin and Kelsey to the safe place. It's pretty far, but we will manage.

I'm not really liking Kesley. She tried to hurt a little girl and from what I heard she is a killer. If she is bad, then I don't thunk she could stay. We are just going to have to hear what actually went down. For now, I will keep and eye on Kelsey.

It's been silent for a while and the awkward tension is bothering me. Griffin is asleep in the backseat and Kesley is in the passenger seat looking out the window. Might as well get to know them a little bit.

"So...... Where are you from?" I ask politely.

"LA." She says quietly.

"You are a long ways from home."

"We have been traveling a while. We have to get out of the big city." She explains.

I nod my head actually agreeing with her. It's silent for a few seconds until she speaks up again.

"How did you find this safe place?" She asked me.

"I'm the leader. I helped build it with some people. When we seen ghat it was secured really good, we started taking people in. Some people, like me, guard the place. Others take care of food and weapons. Then we have a group that go out and get supplies. Then there is a special team that goes out every now and then to find people that haven't found us yet. Like I did today. We only go at least 100 miles out then we turn back around." I say truthfully.

"So where is this safe place?"

"Texas." I say.

"Your kidding."

"No. It's really in Texas. It at the very tip top of it. It's north west on the line of Texas." I reply back.

"Oh. Sounds nice?"

"Yeah."

I think of something else to say. Now it's the time to get to know them and find out what happened back there, when I came upon them.

"You look too young to be her mother. Are you her sister?" I question.

"Babysitter."

"Where are her parents?"

"Dead."

She was a little bit hesitant on weatherproof not she wanted to say the word dead.

"Oh. Sorry." Is what spills out of my mouth.

"She was screaming and kicking me because she didn't want to go. They were both dead and she found them. They were supposed to be at work. Her father got attacked so they went to the hospital. That was the last time I heard their voice. It was a voicemail. Last time she talked to them was when they were leaving the house....... He dad was already dead and shut in the head. Her mother was stuck under a car, but she was one of those rotters. I took a stick and stabbed her in the head. Griffin started calling me a killer and she wouldn't come on. I was trying to hurry up and leave before anymore of those things come out and get us. We have seen a lot of those lately. Anyway, that's when you showed up." She explains.

Oh. It all makes sense now. Griffin is too young to understand what's really going on in the world. I guess Kesley isn't a killer after all.

"Sorry about that." Is all I say.

"It's whatever." She mumbles.

"You should probably get some rest. Got a long ride ahead of us anyway. People might question you about where you came from. You know, to try and get to know you better." I say.

She nods her head and leans on the car door. She lays her head on the window and closes her eyes.

Maybe they aren't bad after all.