Chapter Three: What Could Change?

The next day was Haruhi's official first day of being a host, and she already had three customers that she was sitting with. It was decided that I would perform three times a week; Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, so that I could have time to prepare a piece, and try my hardest to keep up with my study schedule. Honestly, I was probably just going to wing it most of the time. The other two days I would keep my original job, which was basically me being their maid.

Over at Haruhi's table the three girls were bombarding her with questions.

"So tell me, Haruhi. Do you have any hobbies? What do you like to do?"

"I'm curious, what kind of products do you use on your skin?"

"Yes, it's so pretty!"

I could tell Haruhi was struggling to answer. She looked like she was about to snap. I slid over to her and put my arm around her shoulders.

"Hey, Haruhi. How about you tell them the story of how you decided to join the host club," I suggested. The girl's eyes lit up and nodded their heads.

"Yes, Haruhi! Tell us that story!" they said in unison. Haruhi's eyes twitched for a moment, but then she thought of something. She ended up telling them of how her mom passed away ten years ago. All three girls payed very close attention, and hung onto her every word.

"I see. Your mother was sick and passed away ten years ago. Who does the chores around the house?" the girl with long hair who was sitting on Haruhi's left asked.

"Oh, I do them myself." Haruhi gave her a cute smile. "My mother taught me, she was an amazing cook. And when she went into the hospital she left me all kinds of great recipes. It was fun to create each dish, especially when they turned out well. And it made me happy to see my dad enjoy it. I've had a hard childhood, but dad and I have managed to make it through okay." I smiled and squeezed her shoulder.

"And what about you, Miyoko? Why are you here?" the one with the ribbon in her hair asked.

Haruhi told her story, so I guess it was only fair that I told mine. "Well, you see, I used to live in America with my parents. But one day, they got into a terrible car accident. I had no other family and nowhere else I could go. The only other family I had was my dad's brother and his, err... son, which was Haruhi and his dad. I spent the last of my money getting to Japan, and was lucky enough that Ouran allowed a second scholarship so that I could go here with Haruhi. It's been hard, but Haruhi helps me through it since he went through the same thing. My job in the host club will be providing live entertainment by performing a dance piece three times a week." I smiled to all three of them. They awed and hearts appeared in their eyes.

"Uh, so is it okay if tomorrow..."

"We request to sit with you..."

"And see you perform?" all three asked. Haruhi and I looked at each other, and then smiled brightly.

"Yeah, we'd really appreciate that, ladies," Haruhi said, and I nodded my head quickly.

Tamaki snapped his fingers in the air from the couch that he was sitting on, and waved to us. "Haruhi, Miyoko, come here for a minute." We both did as he said.

"Yes, senpai?" I asked.

"What's up?" Haruhi wondered.

"I'd like you to meet someone." He gestured to the girl sitting beside him. It was the same weirdo that was talking to herself yesterday. "This is my regular guest, Princess Ayanokoji."

Haruhi seemed dazed like she remembered the girl too. I nudged her with my elbow, and she broke out of it. "Miss, it's a pleasure to meet you," we said together. Tamaki practically pounced out of his seat and squished us both into another hug. He spun us around in circles while our faces were squished against his chest.