Chapter Six: The Party

Getting ready for the party was more exciting than I liked to admit. I'd never been to an event like the one that the host club was throwing, and I wasted no time preparing for it. Homemade facials, deep conditioning my hair, painting my nails, and using body lotion until I felt like a newborn baby made me feel like a princess. Even if I was the one pampering myself, I figured it was the closest that I would ever get to feeling this way.

When the event came closer I did my hair and makeup, then slipped into the dress and heels that the twins provided me with. Stepping into view of the full length mirror, I smoothed out the dress and admired the cutaway neckline, fitted waist, and cutout detailing.

Haruhi had already left to retrieve her own outfit for the evening, so after saying goodbye to Ranka, I hailed a cab and informed the driver to take me to the school.

"What's got you all dolled up this evening, darlin'?" the driver asked. His glancing at me every few minutes in the rear-view mirror made me shudder.

"No reason," I said hazily.

When we finally reached the school I tossed him my money and dashed out of the cab as fast as I could. Well, as fast as I could in heels. I made my way towards the room that the party was being held in, and when I arrived I saw that almost no one had arrived yet. The only people present were the hosts, who were simply milling around and chatting to one another. When I entered, Haruhi was the first to approach me.

"Wow, Miyoko, you look stunning," she said. I smiled and thanked her, which proceeded in her giving me one of her many hugs. Tamaki then rushed up to the both of us, and I could see by the look on his face that I was about to be pulled into his death grip.

"Ah-ah!" I said and took a step back, while raising my hand to keep him at a safe distance. "I'm not having you ruin this dress by your Hugs-of-Death," I said. He pouted and mumbled something about how nice I looked, then sulked into a corner.

"Wow, you look great," Hikaru said.

"Yeah, we picked a good dress," Kaoru added.

Haruhi put her face in her hands and shook it disapprovingly. "Ah, so you two picked this out for Miyoko," she said.

"We sure did!" they said proudly.

"And Miyoko, you didn't think that they would add the cost of the dress to what we already owe the club?" Haruhi asked.

"Oops," I said, just realizing that they probably pulled a trick on me to make Haruhi and I owe them more.

"Don't worry," Hikaru said.

"The dress is a gift," Kaoru added.

"No charge!" they said together.

Haruhi still shook her head but she did smile. "You do look pretty, Miyoko."

"Thank you." I smiled brightly.

"I hate to interrupt this fuzzy moment, but I do believe that the guests will be arriving very shortly. Take your places," Kyoya announced.

"Huh? What places?" I asked. Hikaru gently took my hand and led me to the end of the room, where there was a grand staircase and balcony that practically glittered from below. I stood at the very top of the first staircase, right in-between Haruhi and Kyoya.

Not too long after, a large crowd of girls flowed into the room. They awed in amazement when they looked around at the beautifully decorated room, and all stood in front of the staircases. They clapped and awed while all the boys bowed to them, and I curtsied.

Kyoya cleared his throat, then addressed the girls. "As always, ladies, the host club members are here for your entertainment. So we invite you to dance to your hearts content. Based on your dancing skills, one lucky young lady will be chosen as tonight's queen. The queen's reward will be a passionate kiss on the cheek, from our king."

"Good luck to you, my darlings," Tamaki said from above me, alone on the balcony. I was told to keep facing the audience, but I knew by the reaction from the girls that he added a wink or something that made them all go wild.

Beside me, Haruhi looked like she was contemplating whether she should throw herself down the staircase or not.

"Haruhi, show some enthusiasm," the twins said.

"Well excuse me, you guys. Sorry, I'm not used to this sort of thing. I've only gone to the festivals held in my native park," she answered.

"I don't know if you can really consider that a party or not," Kyoya said.

I nudged Haruhi with my arm. "Come on, this is fun! When else will we get the chance to attend a party like this? I mean, we are so desperately poor," I said dramatically and held one of my hands to my forehead. Although I didn't receive the expected chuckle, she did seem less tense.

"Well, since you're already here you might as well get something to eat," Kyoya said.

"You guys have food?" I asked with wide eyes.

"Yes, we've got quite a spread."

"With fancy tuna?" Haruhi asked with a slight blush on her cheeks.

"Fancy tuna?" Everyone shrieked. I jumped slightly in surprise when Tamaki leaped off from the balcony and landed perfectly beside all of us. Hikaru and Kaoru had taken Haruhi into their grasp, and were snuggling her affectionately while calling her a"Poor little thing." I stood in front of her and giggled at how red her face had become.

"Haruhi, you look like a giant tomato," I said and poked her nose.

"Get some fancy tuna here right now!" Tamaki yelled to Kyoya who was already on his phone.

"And some deluxe sushi," he added.