Chapter Thirty-One: The Net

It was after school hours, but the grounds were bustling with student activity. Dozens of groups of students had already arrived for our test of courage tournament, and I was excited to see so many people participating in our class's event. I was more excited for my little trick that I was going to be playing on Hikaru.

The team that I was on, team B, consisted of the twins and Haruhi and I. We were sent into the school, as were the other teams, to begin the tournament. I had already set up my little trap at the very end of the hall that our team was sent to for the starting of the tournament, and was just waiting for the right moment for me to send him right into my trap. My plan was to send Kaoru and Haruhi into a room to 'scope it out' then have the lock 'accidentally' become stuck. Just to get them out of the way. Then I'd slip into another class, where I had some disgusting zombie mask waiting for me, jump out at Hikaru, and send him running right into my net. Honestly, there was about a 40% chance of me successfully pulling this off, but I just had to hope.

The four of us were just sitting around in the hall, deciding what we should do. I walked over towards the window to see what was happening outside. The school grounds, much like the hallways of Ouran, were decorated with tons of jack-o-lanterns, giving off a spooky atmosphere. Unlike before, the grounds were empty, since all of the students were now inside of the school.

"Hey, Kaoru. Tell us the story about the evil clock-tower witch," Hikaru said, grinning devilishly as he nudged his brother's shoulder. The twins and Haruhi were sitting against the wall opposite to the windows, and once Hikaru began talking, I went to join them. Although I was skeptical about what he was talking about.

"One Halloween, many years ago, a girl dressed in a witch costume fell to her death from the tower," Kaoru said, in a spooky voice that was filled with amusement as he watched my body stiffen at his horror story.

"And now," they spoke together, "whoever sees her ghost on Halloween night, will be cursed forever!"

"Oh, ha ha," I said and rolled my eyes at them. "I know you're just trying to spook me, but it's not gonna work," I said proudly, but I was slightly nervous about the mention of a ghost.

"You guys, the point is to scare someone not on your team. Why don't you save that dumb shtick for somebody else?" Haruhi asked, tick marks appearing on her forehead.

"But no one's come yet, we're tired of waiting around," they complained, and looked around from one end of the hall to the other.

"Well, why don't we go looking for them?" I suggested, thinking that maybe it was time to put my plan in action, before someone really did come down the hall and walk into my trap by accident.

"We should stay here," Haruhi said, not budging from her seated position next to me.

"If no one has showed up by now, I don't think they ever will. We should go looking for them instead," I said and stood up. If I couldn't get them up and searching, then half of my plan was already going to waste. I needed to get them into the classroom before I scared them, or it might be Haruhi or Kaoru that ended up in that net.

"We should stay here and tell more ghost stories," Hikaru said teasingly, and I stuck my tongue out at him.

"I think we should search!" I said, and got up onto my feet. Hikaru stood up as well, but instead of standing up to follow me, he was just trying to pick a fight.

"Stories!" he fought back.

"Search!"

"Stories!"

"Search!"

"Stories!"

"SEARCH!" I said, screaming at the top of my lungs. Right after I said that, out of the corner of my eye I saw a figure moving. It was a shadow, gliding across the light coming in from the windows. I turned my head to look for what had caused it, but nothing moved.