Chapter Twenty-Five: Refreshing

It was early afternoon now, and the boys were hard at work. Everyone had seemed to have separated off into teams. The twins, of course, were working together. Tamaki, strangely enough, was working with Honey. I'd thought that Mori and him would be teaming together, but when I steered Tamaki over to the broken picket fence, Honey tagged along.

"I was supposed to fix this later, but since you're working now, this can be your job," I said, and handed Tamaki the hammer, nails, and white wood planks.

"Ah, thank you, Miyoko," he said confidently, and got down on his knees to begin working.

"And thanks for this cake!" Honey added, and took a huge bite out of the cake that I had brought him. Honey had pulled up a chair beside Tamaki to watch him work, instead of helping out himself.

"No problem. I can't really help you guys work, but if you need anything let me know," I told them.

"There will be no need for that, but I do appreciate my little girl trying to help daddy out as best as she can." Tamaki said and smiled at me.

"Yeah, no problem..." I said, and backed away from them. Only seconds after leaving them, I heard Misuzu deducting points from Tamaki for complaining.

I went inside to grab the watering can, and once I passed the through the doors I saw that Misuzu had moved on from Tamaki, and was now watching the twins working. I saw them both escorting two young girls up the staircase, complimenting them on the way.

"Fine, fine. Not exactly subtle, but they do get the job done, so... five refresher points for them!" Misuzu said and nodded his head.

"I take it the twins are doing well?" I asked him, watering can now in hand.

"Yes indeed! They're natural's at hosting the customers," he said.

I chuckled and scratched the back of my head. "Well, I guess a host is a host."

Just then, Mori walked into the room, silent as always. "Ah, Mori," Misuzu said, catching his attention. "The legs on this table are wobbly. Would you be a dear and fix it out back, please?" he asked.

"Sure thing," he said in his low voice. He picked up the table effortlessly with one hand, and brought it outside.

"Nothing wasted in word or deed! Five refresher points!" Misuzu giggled happily.

"If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is a refresher point?" I asked curiously.

"Miyoko, what do you think guests are after when they come out all the way to vacation in Karuizawa?" he asked.

"Um, it's peaceful?" I guessed.

"Oh, it's much more than that! They come for what they can't get in the city! Refreshing air! Refreshing scenery! And refreshingly gorgeous young men!" he said dreamily, and I tried to imagine what he was talking about. "And now, thanks to your friends and their little contest, my pension will earn a reputation for being the premier hotspot for vacationers in search of the finest eye-candy Karuizawa can offer!" Misuzu laughed, and spun around in circles to emphasize his glee.

"Oh," I said, searching my brain for something to say. "Yeah, I see what you're saying. I think. I'll be watering the flowers now," I said, and escaped outside. I filled the watering can with the hose, and had to hold it with both arms to keep from dropping it. I saw that unlike all of the other hosts, Kyoya was still sitting at the dining table, reading a book and having no part in the competition.

"Hello, Kyoya-senpai," I said and approached him. "How come you're not participating in the competition?" I asked as I began watering the planters by the windows.