Chapter 38: The Day

:: Not Edited ::

| Kendall |

"Sorry Mr. Cole is not in the office today can I take a message?" I answered in my "office tone". Which is basically just me being polite. The person on the other line started to ramble some stuff and a quickly wrote it down on a sticky note.

"Thank you and have a nice day."

I took the headset off and threw it on to my desk. Working in an office answering phones not exactly what I had planned for. I mean I work so hard to get into university and then I end up here. Well it pays better then my job at the restaurant that's for sure.

"Ms. Matthews?" A soft voice called. I dropped my hands from my face to see the lovely Mrs.Hart, she works as the company secretary, giving me a small smile.

"Oh hello, what can I help you with?" I asked sitting up straight and flattening my skirt down.

"Oh Mr. Cole called, he's on line four." She must have seen my bewildered expression. "Sebastian."

"Oh um thanks." I smiled, she nodded in response and looked towards my discarded headpiece, "Oh right."

I picked it up, fastened it to my head and pressed line four.

"And why wouldn't you just call my cell?" I asked skipping greetings all together.

"I was just mixing things up," he responded swiftly.

"You want to tell me what exactly you've been doing all day, I must tell you there is a shit load of messages for you."

"Ive been busy."

"I've noticed." I said angrily. He had been "busy" for the last week and a half.

"Are you busy right now?" He asked hopefully.

"I'm working."

"Can you take a break?"

"I would have to ask my boss." I said rolling my eyes. "Can I have a break boss?"

"Yes now come downstairs." And with that he hung up.

--/--

I was leaning against the elevator with my arms crossed when the doors opened to reveal a completely empty foyer. I pushed myself off the wall and walked out with a frown. It was weird when nobody else was in the elevator considering the sheer size of the building but this was just passing the verge of bizarre. My footsteps echoed as I walked to the centre of the large room. I looked outside the doors to see people peering inside. What the-

"Kendall?"

I turned around to follow the sound of Sebastian's voice. I found him standing a few feet behind me with his hands behind his back.

"What the hell is going on? Where is everybody?" I asked stepping towards him.

"I need to ask you something." He stated abruptly bringing his hands in front of him.

"Couldn't you just ask me over the phone? Or better yet come up stairs!"

"Kendall." He called roughly.

"What!"

I walked closer to me, "How long have we known each other?"

I looked at him bewildered, "Fifteen years."

"Kendall I've loved you ever since you threw that bloody Barbie at my head on the first day of school fifteen years ago."

"I didn't-"

"Yes you did."

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine I forgive you," he joked, "my point here is that-" he reached in his front pocket and I started to forget what air was. I put a hand to my my mouth and shook my head.