Chapter 4: Life without Fun? - Revised

(:)(:)(:)

"Dude, are you okay?" Ronnie sighs, sitting me down at the kitchen. He carefully empties his plate and takes away the paper towels from my hands.

I refuse to look at him. "I'm sorry about your bruise." I mumble.

He merely waves me off. "You always start apologizing about something when you're trying to get the attention away from your problems." He runs water over his plate. "I asked if you're okay, not for a sorry."

I sigh, tracing the counter with my finger as I hear him turn off the faucet. I didn't want to say that I was bummed out because mom was actually going through with kicking me out. Was I so insufferable?

"You're not sooo insufferable," Ronnie says and I swear as I've realized I said my thoughts out loud. He puts the dishes in our dishwasher. "You're annoying, bummy, spoiled—"

"You're so great at cheering people up." I roll my eyes before adding, "You're spoiled too!"

"—But never insufferable." He turns and walks over before sitting across from me. "She's told you, you know."

I look up. "I know," I mumble. "I didn't think she was serious. I mean I know it's not like her to joke about stuff like this, but I'm losing my old team and a potential scholarship here! My friends!" My eyes blur. "Trevor and Nari."

"Me and Tyler?"

"Promise you're going to take care of Nari!" I plead, ignoring his last remark. "Promise!"

"I'm allergic to cats, Jordan—"

"Promise!"

"Alright!" He snaps, rubbing his temple. "I don't know why you like that stray so much. Mom doesn't even let you have it inside the house."

I shrug. "Just keep her safe and warm." I look at him. "You better send me pictures of her everyday too! And clean her house!"

"You're so-" He sighs, running a hand down his face. "Whatever. Yeah, okay."

I grin, flicking his hand on the counter. He merely rolls his eyes before flicking me back with a small smile. "Scema," he says.

I take out the keys from my pocket, the cold feeling putting a bigger smile on my face. "Would a scema be able to grab something like this successfully? Hmmm?"

Ronnie stares blankly. "No." He sighs, slumping, his right hand dragging over his face in a tired manner. "What is that, Jordan? Tell me it's just like a spare key to the house."

I whistle. "Or the keys to the school?" I lean back and tap my chin. "You'd think Mr. Fartface would notice that his keys were missing honestly."

Meanwhile, hours ago, a flustered unsuspecting Mr. McKenzie grabs a spare of keys from his drawer, too tired from the school day to even bother to think as to where his original keys went. After all, it wasn't like he just had one of the most troublesome teenager he's ever seen in his office just a few hours ago. No, no way. His original set of keys were probably just lying around somewhere carelessly but a hundred percent safe.

For sure.

Either way, it was tomorrow's problem.

"Why are you so weirdly specific in your hypothetical scenarios of others?" Ronnie squints at me.

"Because they are my thoughts." I snap, rolling my eyes. "My bad that I think."

I tap my chin. There's a tradition in our school. The senior prank. Sure, it's junior year and I shouldn't have given it as much thought as I have until like next year but I was so excited that I've really been planning it since last year. It's not like I can carry it out next year since I won't be attending here anymore.

Really sad thought and now I want to mope again.

No, no. No moping.

Anyway, these pranks I've been setting my mind onto are inconvenient and really it doesn't benefit any future resumes that I should be building for future jobs as my mom would nag me to do with any activity I find joy in but it's fun.

And what's life without fun?

I smile and clasp my hands together. "You should help me out."

"With what?"

I merely smile at him. "You have to agree."

He tuts, offended by my tone of voice and the indication of me ordering him around. He stares for a good ten seconds before sighing, seemingly something has swayed him. "I agree as long as we're not doing something illegal."

I shrug. "It's not illegal because we have the keys."

"Oh hell no." Ronnie shakes his head and crosses his arms. "You're trying to break into the school? For what?"

"You're so loud." I glare at him. "We're not breaking into anything, because I have the keys." I pursed my lips. "So you're in."

He looks at me suspiciously. "What are we doing exactly?"

I grin at him. "I'll let you know on the ride over there." I straighten up and clear my throat. I hold my left hand up in the air and cross over my heart. "I promise."

"It's the right hand, scema."

"Nonsense!"

(:)(:)(:)