Chapter 33: Kindness and Mischief are Two Whole Different Things

(:)(:)(:)

"I need sleeeeeeeep," Ruby whines.

I look at her through half-opened eyes. "Same." I yawn.

She shoots me the dirtiest look she can muster. "Don't even," she reprimands, "This is all your fault. And you're drinking coffee. I've never seen you drink coffee."

I narrow my eyes. "Don't get that attitude with me," I say.

"Then don't wake me up so early next time!"

"Alright, alright," I answer, raising a hand up in surrender. "Don't kill me."

It's technically my fault that we're so sleepy, seeing as I asked Teresa if we could get to school really early. She had given me a 'who are you and what have you done with my cousin' look but merely shrugged and said sure, seeing as she was already awake. Our school technically opens at six o'clock am because who knows why. Seeing as Teresa is the only morning person (besides her mom) that I know, Ruby definitely didn't seem pleased when she was informed over the phone that we were picking her up.

"Why do you want to go to school so early?" Teresa asks me curiously, "You were up to two a.m. last night even though you knew we were coming to school today."

I let out a snort, rolling my eyes. "I mean, it's not like it's my first time staying up late..." I mutter, remembering the summer of 2016 which was technically this year but seeing as it's almost 2017... "Also, just because I want to leave a little surprise for one of my dearest friends."

"That doesn't sound like a good thing," Teresa hums, "Which is why I'm not even gonna ask," she concludes cheerfully.

"Smart move, cuz," I say, drinking the last bit of my coffee.

• • •

I briskly begin to walk down the hallways, remembering Diana's locker exactly seeing as I've walked past her locker many times, memorizing her locker's number. It wasn't that hard, seeing as I always pass by her when I go to my second period class.

Making sure that no one is around, I pull my large dark red hoodie further down my head, shadowing my face further. I couldn't take any chances of anyone knowing who I am especially with the cameras. I face the grey locker in front of me, lowering the container full of dead rats, the jack-in-the-box (remodeled by yours truly to have a fake hand spring out instead), and a small device made out to be a voice recorder to the floor. Quickly, with gloved hands, I take out a hair pin from my side-braid, seeing as I can't use the 'Key Manipulator' because it only works if I'm using it on many locks at once.

Click.

I grin, opening the locker's door, revealing a bunch of books and a small mirror hanging there. Amused, I give a quick glance at myself in the mirror, striking a pose goofily. Glancing around once more, I hurriedly grab the voice recorder, peeling of its thin white layer from underneath it, sticking the device inside the locker. I then proceed to grab the jack-in-the-box, removing its lid, letting out a long spring with a hand attached to its end pop out. Pressing on a small button on its side that Tyler had designed, the fake hand closed its fingers, making a loose fist. Pressing it again to unfold it, I grab the container of dead rats.

A hand suddenly lands on my shoulder. Biting my tongue as to hold back a scream, I slowly turn around, standing up with wide eyes and the dead rats still on my hands. With my hoodie still shadowing my face, I peek at the person.