Chapter 39: It's Called Drama

(:)(:)(:)

"Hello?" I answer sleepily, rubbing at my blurry eyes.

"Oh, uh, hey, Jordan," Jake answers, sounding awkward.

"Jake!" I exclaim, finally awake.

Oh great, now I feel awkward.

Even though it's been a few days since the incident with Teresa, who is terrible at boy problems even when she wants to say otherwise, I turn red at the thought of Jake liking me, become slightly uncomfortable and awkward thinking about even... kissing him.

Stupid Teresa.

"So, I know you're not... well over here... in Ohio," he starts awkwardly, "And I know that I didn't go to school on the day before break started, I just wanted to tell you that," he pauses.

"Yeah?" I prompt after he takes a little too long.

"That... that, if you knew what the assignment from Iacabucci was?" He finally asks.

I'm confused but don't really question it as I answer. He thanks me and we sit in silence for a long awkward moment. "Well... bye, Jake?" I say, ready to end the call and the awkwardness. Seriously suffocating over here.

"Wait," he blurts out before saying his next sentence in a rushed breath. "I just wanted to wish you Merry Christmas and tell you that..." he hesitates, as if nervous. "That... I don't dislike you, okay, bye."

He hangs up, leaving me extremely confused as I stare at my phone.

"Weirdo," I finally whisper, letting a smile tug at my lips as I shake my head. I decide to text him.

Merry Christmas to you, too, Jake. Enjoy your non-dislikeness for me :D

A moment later, he replies back.

McBad: That's not a word

I laugh, getting off my bed to go downstairs. I stop and return to my room, going in the bathroom to get ready. I spend the next half hour in there, before walking downstairs to eat.

"MERRY CHRISTMAS!" I shout, smiling at my family.

Ronnie groans. "Get out, I'm still trying to wake up."

I roll my eyes. "That's not my fault, now is it?"

"Throw that piece of waffle at her and see what happens," my mom says, not even looking up from her phone.

Ronnie lowers his hand.

My dad places a hand on top of my mom's phone screen, pushing it down onto the table and turning it off. "It's Christmas, honey, enjoy it."

She sighs, sending him a flat look.

He huffs. "Stop being all work and no play."

"CAN WE OPEN THE GIFTS? PLEASE? PLEASE? PLEASE?!"

Ronnie shuts his eyes, muttering to himself, "Don't throw your shoe at her, she's not worth getting in trouble for."