Chapter 14: Don't Take It To Heart, Love

(:)(:)(:)

"I am finally free!" I yell as I burst out the front doors; Teresa and Ruby are right behind me.

"Don't sound too excited, blondie," a voice says beside me, making me jump as I stumble back.

"Where the freaking heck did you come from?!" I exclaim. Jake stands right there, a jacket thrown over his shoulder as he holds onto it loosely. He rolls his eyes before stepping aside to give me view of a couple of girls in cheerleader uniforms walking my way.

I yelp, going to hide behind him as I peek at the group of girls discreetly. "Are they going to skin me alive or somethin' like that?" I whisper loudly.

"No, dummy, they're going to try and recruit you–"

"To join the dark side?!" I interrupt him.

"–To join the cheerleader squad."

"That's even worse!" I whisper loudly, horrified.

"That... Is an insult to every cheerleader in this world." He, for some reason, looks amused.

"You know what I meant!"

"No... I didn't."

"I don't know how to do somersaults and flips and yell at the top of my lungs for some sweaty, buff guys playing around with a ball!"

"...That's one way of putting it."

"Hi!" a girl in a cheerleader's uniform chirps as I jump.

I shriek, putting on my dramatics once more, unable to hold back my over-exaggerated nature. Hiding behind Jake, I peek at her. She's staring at me in bewilderment, maybe even wondering if I'm a normal teenager. In fact, to answer her question mentally, I'm not. I like to think that I'm a child at heart that annoys every person at least once in their lifetime with flaws and imperfect decisions. So I'm not completely perfect, sue me.

"Oh, don't take it to heart, love," I hear Jake say to the cheerleader, "She just loves to... Greet people like that," he says, laughing.

"Oh, ha ha... Ha," the girl chokes out awkwardly before she cleares her throat, "So, um, hi there!" she greets me cheerfully again.

Jake then goes to grab my hand, yanking me forward. I stumble slightly before straightening up at the last minute, huffing as I glare at him. He merely smiles innocently at me. I turn to back to the girl, nodding at her as I pull at my shirt. "'Sup," I greet.

For a second, I can see a flash of disgust cross her delicate features as she gives me a quick once-over. Then, like as if she's been electrocuted, she goes back to her cheery, bright, smiling self. She stretches out a fair and delicate hand, waiting for me to shake it.

I look at it warily before hesitantly shaking it once before we both let go quickly at the same time. I catch sight of her discreetly wiping her hand against her uniform. I scoff indignantly, before wiping my hand against my shirt more obviously, showing her that I can be just as rude. Muttering a small "germs everywhere," I flash her a sweet smile as she does the same thing, clearly hearing me.

Jake clears his throat loudly, successfully catching both the brunette's and I's attention. He tries to hide the amusement from his face but fails miserably. He buries his hands in his jean pockets before turning to the cheerleader.