Chapter 12 | Confusion & Confessions Part 2

• Dedicated to One Direction

Dedication to: One Direction ;)

  Chapter 12 | Confusion & Confessions Part 2

   Previously...

I cleared my throat, getting his attention. He must've been lost in his thoughts, too.

He looked up, sitting up straighter, not looking ready for my answer. With all honesty, I wasn't even prepared for the answer that came out.

"I—" I was going to explain this from the beginning, but then thought better of it. "The complication is..." I hesitated.

"I didn't want to tell you this but Jade has a small crush on you. And, you're confusing me because Jade thought you had feelings for... me." Okay, so maybe I panicked and told a little fib. Nothing bad would come from that, would it?

Zayn was still processing my confession when I looked up at him. He face held this strange look, as if he knew I had lied, but didn't think I would. Well, guess I proved you wrong.

Finally, he spoke. "Jade, uh, likes me?" He said it in a way that made me think he didn't want to believe it. Good, that must mean he doesn't like Jade in that way. I sighed, disgusted with myself. I was such a selfish person, I didn't deserve Zayn, or any of my friends for that matter.

I never thought of myself as a good liar, but right then I hoped I was.

"Yes."

I said it carefully, with as much of a straight face as I could muster. It must have worked. Something in his features changed, a flash of recognition passed on his eyes. His frown stayed in the same position, though.

Neither of us said anything for a while, just staring out into space, thinking. We had sunk into a quiet moment. I was curious to know what he was thinking, but I didn't know if it'd be the best for me to ask. I wasn't that afraid of the height anymore, too preoccupied with the situation to be bothered as much.

Finally, the Ferris Wheel came to a halt, and I hurried out. I gladly welcomed the cool air that hit me the moment the door opened. I smiled, and thanked the carnival worker. I waited for Zayn to come out, feeling awkward but prepared. He fell into a step beside me, and began walking in any random direction.

For a moment, I felt like he was trying to escape me. I wouldn't blame him, if he was. What would we talk about now? Again, awkward. So, with that thought, I stayed in the same position, standing nearly in front of the Ferris wheel, looking at my feet, berating myself.

Then I heard his voice.

"Perrie?" He asked. I looked up, prepared for the worst—for what reason is unknown—but instead came face to face with his beautiful face, his features soft. His gentle yet purposeful gaze had me breathless.

"Yeah?" My voice came out strangled, almost shattered. I prepared myself for his outburst, but it didn't come. Instead, his wonderfully smooth voice came.

"Are you coming or what?" I suddenly looked up—not even realizing I had dropped my gaze to the floor—and saw the smile, the smile I had heard in his voice. I nodded, smiling to myself. He grabbed my hand, and after a little internal fangirling, I let myself be dragged to where ever he chose.

We found myself outside of a photo booth. It was small but large enough for two or three people to fit. It had this cute little red curtain to give some sort of privacy for the people inside. That's strange though, I  didn't know there were photo booths in fairs...

"Let's take pictures?" Zayn asked, smiling like a little kid. He seemed genuinely excited to try it. I must have nodded, because he went inside and I followed suit. It was like I was on copilot, as my soul did a little happy dance. I must have looked like an idiot.