Chapter 2: It All Begins Here

*Chapter Two*

[Edited]

(*‘-‘*) Annie's POV:

                I was stunned, frozen in my place. Quest, my best friend in high school, just came to me and made a request. Does she even know what she got herself into? I don’t know. After she let the words out, I begin to remember the Five Rules.

Rule Number 2: Only entertain the people who can recite the request chant properly

                “Hear me out, Annie.

                Gypsy, Gypsy, hear my plea,

                My request you shall grant,

                For I have uttered successfully,

                The very ancient Gypsy chant.”

                Yep. She did recite it properly. I was hoping that she would mess up halfway but that didn’t happen. Like, she would choke suddenly or something and then I would beg her to stop this nonsense. Oh why don’t I have a stuttering friend!? I don’t mind a geek at all!

                I was looking at her as if saying ‘Are you serious? Are you for real?’ She lets out a sigh as she dropped her head down. Her body was fidgeting a bit, showing her nervousness and perhaps, embarrassment. With that body language, I knew something was up.

                She looked… different. She wasn’t her normal self. She became quiet and shy. She… She was in love.

                My little Quest is in love.

                That thought made me feel like tearing up. This can’t be. It can’t just be. I know perfectly well what would happen afterwards. She would forget me. All those memories, those fragments of happiness that we made together, will be gone. Why did she have to do this? She knew perfectly well about my rules. Is she being selfish? Don’t even think about that, Annie. Just don’t. Quest isn’t like that. She must have a reason for this.

Rule Number 3: Never leave your client unless the job is finished

                So, what then? Am I just going to do my job and get hurt during the span of my work? While I am at the duration of her request, I can’t just back out anymore, right? I can’t also just disappear into thin air. I know I can’t escape this anymore. It’s far too complex, to begin with.  I am not Houdini, I am Annie.

Rule Number 4: Don’t get too close with them after the job is done

                How could I not do that?! She is my freaking best friend! Sweet lemons! I can’t just abandon her like that and she can’t just do the same. We've been together for too long. Far too long. During my dark days, she was there. During times of insecurities, she was there. During my moments of weakness, she was there. She was there. She is there. She'll always be there.

                I went to touch her cheeks and she held my hands so. Privacy seems to be needed fright now so I ushered her to go somewhere more secluded, where no one can hear our conversation. She nodded and held my hand as she led me to the backyard. I stopped at my tracks. Not the backyard; If Nicks will see me there, I’ll just cry again.

                When she realized I was holding her back, she looked at me curiously and decided to scrap the backyard idea. She changed her direction and walked a different way. She went to the right, and went inside a room filled with books. This must be Eren’s study hall.