Chapter 7

"I don't want your friend. Or your sympathy. Can you leave me alone?" Amelia snapped angrily.

"Why do you do that?" Hazel asked.

"What?" Amelia said coldly.

"Act rude to people. I know you're a good person so why do you feel the need to build a wall around you?" Hazel said, genuine concern in her voice.

"I haven't built a wall around me. I just don't think it's necessary for you to take me shopping. I don't even know you," Amelia insisted.

"Fine. My name is Hazel Hayes. I'm Irish and moved to London two years ago to live with my boyfriend Ollie. I recently turned 29 which freaks me out. I love Star Wars and superheroes movies. Um... my dream is to become a director and film maker so I started YouTube to get used to it. I grew up with my mum and my older sister and two older brothers," Hazel explained quickly.

"I just have one question: what the hell is YouTube?" Amelia asked. She knew it was a shallow lie but thought it was believable enough.

"It's a social media platform that people can post videos on. It's very cool. Your turn," Hazel answered.

"Right. Well... I'm Amelia. And I like Star Wars too, I guess," Amelia said.

"Is that all?" Hazel asked, disappointed. Amelia looked at her feet. She didn't know if she wanted to tell Hazel everything about herself or her family. But it was only fair... she told her.

"I'm 21. I grew up in Wiltshire with my parents and older brother and sister. I have one friend, called Annie, and she just got married and moved to France. You already know about my boyfriend. So now, it's just me," Amelia replied with a harsh tone. She had now turned away from Hazel because she didn't want to see the pity on her face. "Happy now?" she added coldly.

"But what about your siblings?" Hazel replied.

Amelia shrugged. "My sister is in a happy relationship with a great guy and all my brother does is try to make me laugh. I love them, but sometimes I just wish they would leave me alone. I haven't spoken to them in a while..." Hazel was surprised by Amelia's attitude towards her siblings but before she could say anything, there was a knock at her door again. Amelia sighed and went to answer it. She was disappointed to see Jack.

"Hello Amy. Can I have my friend back?" he asked with a smirk.

Hazel came up behind Amelia and scowled at Jack's words. "No. I'm busy today. Amelia and I are going shopping. That reminds me, I need to call Louise," Hazel answered, emphasising Amelia's name.

Jack frowned. "Don't bother. She's at ours. Something about quality chummy time?" he said. The word chummy made Amelia's stomach drop.

At this, Hazel grinned and Amelia frowned. "No you should go Hazel. I don't want or need your pity," she insisted. If the Louise that was next door was the Louise that she thought it was, Amelia was screwed. And she couldn't go shopping with her.

"It's not pity. I'm taking you shopping. Come over in half an hour, okay?" Hazel said. Jack looked confused.

"Fine," Amelia sighed as Hazel left. "Bye Jake," she added, deliberately getting Jack's name wrong to get back at him doing it to her. Amelia closed the door and took a deep breath. Everything was going to be fine... she hadn't seen Louise in a couple of years... maybe she looked different enough that she wouldn't recognise her?