Chapter 38

Alfie rang the buzzer for Joe and Caspar's flat and stumbled up the stairs to it. His face was bleeding and he hurt all over. It was mainly his ego that was bruised but he was sure he was gonna get a black eye, at least.

Joe opened the door. "Mate, what the hell happened?" he asked with concern when he saw Alfie.

"Nothing... I just –" Alfie started.

"Oh my God! Alfie! What happened?" Zoe exclaimed. She took his hand and pulled him inside. She cleared up his face a little then looked at him. "Who did this to you?" she asked seriously.

"Zoe, it's fine. It doesn't matter," Alfie assured her.

"Who did it?" Zoe repeated. Tears filled her eyes and one spilled down her cheek. Alfie wiped it away with his thumb.

"Don't cry, little one. I'm okay," he said.

"Alfie, please tell me," Zoe begged. Alfie shook his head and looked away from her. That was when something clicked. Zoe knew who it was – it made sense. "It was Jack," she whispered. It wasn't a question.

"Zo –" Alfie tried.

"It was Jack, wasn't it? Jack Howard. How did he even do this to you? You're so much taller and stronger than him," Zoe said.

"I killed his baby... I almost killed Rowan," Alfie replied softly.

"It wasn't your fault Alfie," Zoe assured him.

"You blame me," Alfie said. Zoe hugged him tightly.

"I don't..." she tried. Alfie shook his head. "Joe, stay here with Alfie. I'm going to Rowan's house" Zoe decided.

"Don't Zoe –" Alfie tried.

"I'm going. She needs to stop being so bloody ridiculous. She was completely fucking hammered – she didn't want that baby – and I'm not letting her boyfriend hurt you," Zoe replied.

"Zo, don't do anything stupid," Joe warned.

"I won't Joe," Zoe said as she left the flat.