Chapter 41

Three weeks later and Zoe and Alfie were playing with their new pug Nala. She was adorable. They both loved her but although she made Zoe happy, she couldn't get Rowan out of her head. Rowan hadn't contacted her since she'd left and she sort of understood why – Zoe had told her to choose and she had...

"Little one, just call her," Alfie suggested for the millionth time in the past three weeks. Zoe was staring at her phone; her finger hovering above Rowan's name.

"I told her if she chose Jack, that we would all be gone," Zoe said. It was always the same reply, always the same excuse. Alfie didn't know whether Zoe was sticking to her words or if she was annoyed at Rowan for not calling.

"But you didn't mean it," Alfie pointed out.

"She doesn't know that," Zoe replied sadly. Alfie sat down next to his girlfriend.

"Well call her and tell her then," he said. Zoe shook her head weakly.

"It's not that simple. Rowan isn't one to forgive and forget. I accused her of killing her baby – she'll never forgive me," she explained. Sighing, Alfie grabbed Zoe's phone and clicked Rowan's name. "Alfie! No!" Zoe yelled.

But it didn't matter anyway because Rowan didn't pick up. Alfie left a message though. "Rowan, it's Alfie. Stop being ridiculous and call Zoe. She didn't mean any of what she said – she was just angry, you both were. Don't take it out on her," then he hung up.

"Alfie, why the fuck did you do that?" Zoe asked angrily.

"Because you weren't doing anything to fix your relationship!" Alfie told her. Zoe stood up and stormed into the kitchen, Nala at her heel.

"Yes but Alfie, it's none of your business,"

"It is if it's affecting our relationship, Zoe. I don't know if you'd noticed but we haven't had sex since you stopped talking to her. You won't even kiss me!" Alfie argued.

"Seriously? You're bringing our sex life into this?" Zoe yelled.

"Don't talk to me like that Zoe! You know I'm right about talking to Rowan; you just won't admit it!" Alfie yelled back. Nala whimpered.

"For fuck's sakes Alfie! You aren't always right! You have no idea what Rowan is like – you've only known her for five months!" Zoe screamed.

"And you know her so well? Didn't she run away for two years?" Alfie shouted. Zoe's eyes filled with tears.

"That has nothing to do with this Alfie!" she insisted.

"It will, I bet this is how it started – both of you being too childish to apologise until finally it's been years and all chances of a healthy sister relationship is gone!" Alfie argued.

Zoe stared at Alfie angrily and hot, angry tears trickled down her cheeks. She had nothing else to say to him so she stormed upstairs and into her office; sobbing loudly.

Alfie cursed under his breath and followed Zoe – he hadn't meant to lose his temper or bring up that topic. He stopped when he got outside her office and looked at her sadly. She was sitting at her desk with her head in her hands and weeping.

"Zoe, I'm sorry," Alfie said softly. Zoe continued to cry. "Zo?" he asked with sadness in his voice. She sniffed and looked at him.

"What?" she muttered. She was still angry at what he'd said.

"I didn't mean it... I just hate seeing you so upset about your sister. I know you want to make amends but you can't do that until you call her," Alfie explained.

Zoe broke away from his gaze. "I can't Alfie, what if she hates me?" she asked.

"She won't..." Alfie tried, passing her his phone. She took it and clicked Rowan's name.

Rowan answered after a couple of rings. "Alfie, please just piss off," "It's... erm, it's Zoe," "Oh," "Can I talk to you?" "I thought if I chose Jack that you would be gone?" "I didn't mean it Rowan... I was just angry at you," "Why? I didn't do anything," "I'm sorry," "Zoe, please don't call me again. You accused me of killing my baby, you insulted my boyfriend. You told me to choose and I did. Just fuck off and live happily ever after with your Pointless moron, ugly pug and Brighton mansion," and then Rowan hung up.

Zoe burst into tears again. "She... she h–hates me," she sobbed as Alfie hugged her.

"Rowan will come round... she just needs space," he assured her. Zoe cried into his chest.