Chapter 16

The next morning it took a lot of persuasion from Zoe and Alfie to get Rowan in the car. Louise had left early to drive back to Northampton. Rowan had thought of every excuse under the sun to not go and face her parents but Zoe was having none of it.

Finally, at 10 am, Rowan, Zoe and Alfie were on the road to Wiltshire. The whole journey, Rowan had barely said anything and at one point, she had threatened to get out of the car because Alfie had started vlogging. But he hadn't gotten her in shot or mentioned her at all. Instead, he had told the camera that he wasn't going to vlog much because he and Zoe were visiting Zoe's parents.

They finally arrived at their dad's house and Rowan took a deep breath. She was going to see her father for the first time in two years. She wasn't ready but Zoe made her get out of the car anyway.

"Rowan, this is ridiculous. Dad's just going to be pleased to see you," Zoe insisted. Rowan disagreed but didn't say anything.

Graham opened the door and was greeted by Zoe and Alfie. Rowan was hiding nervously behind Alfie so he hadn't seen her yet. "Zoe, what a nice surprise!" he said with a smile. They hugged. "Alfie, good to see you, son," Graham continued.

"You too Graham," Alfie replied. He stepped aside, revealing Rowan.

Graham stared at her. "Rowan?" he whispered in shock.

"Dad," she said softly.

They stood staring at each other for a couple of minutes. "Aren't you going to explain yourself?" Graham snapped eventually.

"I don't have an explanation," she replied, looking at her feet.

"That's not good enough,"

"I'm sorry," Rowan muttered.

"You found her?" Graham asked his other daughter.

"Louise did. In London," Zoe said apprehensively. This wasn't how she had expected this to go.

"I guess you should come in. I'll call your mother," Graham said without looking at Rowan.