Chapter 35

Jack stared at her. No... she couldn't have been... she would have told him... but she hadn't told him anything else, so why was this any different?

Louise walked over to him and handed him the ultrasound so he could see the note, not the scan. "She wanted to tell you Jack... but she didn't know how,"

Jack read the note and then flipped the page over, tears forming when he saw the baby... his baby. His baby that was gone... "How... how did the accident happen?" he asked hesitantly. Zoe breathed deeply. She knew how much Jack hated Alfie and this wouldn't make that better...

"Well... her and Alfie went to a party and she drove there. But she got completely drunk so Alfie... Alfie – who hadn't drunk anything – decided to drive them back. But there was a drunk driver on the wrong side of... of the road and he hit their car and..." Zoe stuttered. She stopped talking – she didn't want to say anything else.

"And so it was Alfie's fault? Is that what you're saying? Alfie fucking Deyes killed my baby and made my girlfriend forget me?!" Jack spat angrily.

"It wasn't his fault. It was the other driver," Zoe insisted.

"Don't try and side with him. He killed my baby," Jack replied angrily.

"J – Jack?" Rowan stammered from behind him. He froze. How did she know his name if she had forgotten everything? He turned around slowly and then rushed up to Rowan; embracing her tightly. "I remember..." she whispered. Then she broke away from him. "I remember everything..." she repeated, glaring at Zoe.

Zoe opened her mouth to speak but Jack spoke before she could. "I love you Rowan," he said.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry I never told you who I was," Rowan muttered.

"It's okay... I don't blame you. And I'm glad you didn't... I would have judged you before I got to know you because of your family," Jack assured her.

"I love you Jack... I want to go home," Rowan told him. Jack nodded and kissed Rowan softly. Zoe started to sob – she had lost her sister. Again. And this time, to Jack Howard. "Stop crying Zoe, you have no reason to cry," Rowan ordered.

"I –" Zoe started.

"No Zoe. I lost my baby. Your boyfriend killed my baby," Rowan snapped. "You have no reason to cry,"

"Please don't leave," Zoe begged. "I don't want to lose you again,"

"It's a little late for that Zoe... don't you think?" Rowan asked with tears in her eyes.

"Ro..." Zoe tried. But Rowan shook her head and took Jack's hand.

"I'll collect my things another time. I just want to leave," Rowan said as they left. Zoe sat numbly on the sofa and put her head in her hands; trying to muffle her sobs. Louise sat next to her and hugged her. Zoe started to cry loudly and leaned into her best friend.

"She... she just went... why did she... go?" Zoe croaked after a while. Louise didn't know what to say. Hazel, who was standing awkwardly in the doorway, felt like she was in a strange place. She didn't want to leave – she would feel bad. But she also wanted to be there for her two best friends.