Chapter 17

A few minutes later, Zoe, Alfie and Rowan were sat at the kitchen table. Her dad had poured Rowan a glass of water but hadn't spoken to her. Zoe watched as her sister nervously circled the rim of the glass with her finger; not looking up, not making any noise.

"Rowan?" Zoe started. She ignored her. "Ro, everything's going to be fine. Dad was just shocked," she continued.

"Okay," Rowan mumbled. She didn't believe a word of it. When she heard her parents talking, she tensed up.

"Graham, why won't you just tell me what you want?" Tracey asked.

"You'll see for yourself. Just go into the kitchen," Graham insisted. Tracey sighed but followed his instructions. She stopped in her tracks when she spotted Rowan.

"Hi," Rowan said weakly.

"What's going on?" Tracey asked harshly.

Zoe spoke: "Louise found Rowan in London so she bought her to me and I bought her here," she explained.

Tracey had tears in her eyes. "My baby..." she whispered. She rushed over and embraced Rowan, kissing her forehead. Graham was angry.

"How can you say that Tracey?" he snapped.

"I thought she was dead," Tracey explained.

"Well, she's not. Obviously," he spat.

"Where did you go? Why did you go?" Tracey asked her.

"London. I got a job, I found a place, I made a life for myself. And then Louise came and ruined it," Rowan whispered angrily.

Tracey gasped. "You were fine? All this time, you were living it up in London? Didn't you even think to tell us you were okay?" she asked.

"Of course I did! But I couldn't. You don't understand," Rowan said desperately.

"You're a selfish bitch Rowan! Get out of my sight!" Tracey spat. Her initial relief of finding her daughter had been replaced with pure hatred of her. Why did she think that what she did was acceptable?

"Happily," Rowan spat back, pushing her chair backwards loudly and standing up; prepared to leave and not come back.

Zoe suddenly grabbed her sister's hand. "No. Please don't," she begged softly. Rowan saw the desperation in Zoe's expression and decided to sit back down. She had hurt her enough already. Zoe's eyes filled with tears of relief.

"I'm so sorry," Rowan croaked.

"Sorry isn't going to solve anything. We need an explanation," Graham said slowly. So, Rowan went on to explain everything she had told Zoe. When she had finished, her parents were both silent.

"Please forgive me. I never meant to hurt anyone," Rowan begged.

Graham shook his head in disbelief. "You didn't even call," he said.

"I know, I'm sorry," Rowan said. And she burst into tears. Her parents were never going to forgive her.

"I'm leaving," Tracey said finally, getting up and exiting the house.

Rowan put her head on the table and sobbed. Zoe rubbed her shoulder comfortingly. Graham walked over to his daughters. "It's okay, love," Rowan sniffed and looked up at her dad. She stood up and they hugged; Rowan cried into him; relief flooding through her body. "I've got you, Rowan. You're home now," Graham assured her, hugging tightly.

"Dad, I have a home. In London," Rowan told him.

"I know love, I understand. Of course you can go back. But you have to promise to keep in contact," Graham replied.

"I promise, dad," Rowan assured him. "I know I only just got here, but I have work tomorrow," Rowan said sadly.

"Okay. Don't worry, your mother will come round, she just needs a little space," Graham replied.

"Dad, it's fine. I get why she's angry. I am a selfish bitch,"

"No Rowan, you weren't. You just handled your emotions wrong," Zoe insisted.

"I won't do it again," Rowan said.

"Come on, let's get you back to London," Zoe offered.

"I'll get a train," Rowan said.

"Ro..." her sister started.

"Zoe, I'm getting the train," Rowan snapped. "I'll see you round," she finished, giving Zoe and Alfie quick hugs.

"Don't worry, no one will find out about you," Zoe promised. Rowan smiled gratefully and left her childhood home.