Chapter 28

Zoe walked into the room and sobbed when she saw Rowan's body. She looked so broken. So lifeless. "Ro..." she started. Zoe didn't know what else to say and sat down limply in the chair next to her bed.

There was a knock at the door. Thinking it was the rest of her family, Zoe looked up. It was Poppy. "Zoe?"

"Hi," she answered weakly.

"Is she okay?" Poppy asked.

"I don't know. She might not wake up," Zoe replied helplessly. She didn't know what she could do. She had only just found her and she could be leaving soon. She couldn't. She just couldn't.

"What's her name, Zoe?" Poppy asked.

"Rowan. Her name is Rowan..." Zoe answered softly. Poppy walked up to her and put her hand on her shoulder.

"Alfie wants to see you," Poppy said. Zoe shook her head. This was his fault. She couldn't see him. He didn't even have his real license and yet he had thought it was a good idea to drive Rowan back home. And now, she might never wake up.

"This is his fault... he did this to her," Zoe replied numbly.

"Zoe, he didn't... there was drunk driver on the wrong side of the road... he tried to swerve out of the way but –" Poppy started.

"I don't care Poppy! He shouldn't have gotten in the driver's seat!" Zoe argued.

"Okay," Poppy answered weakly. She didn't want to argue with Zoe. "Just come and find me if you need anything. I'll be in Alfie's room," Zoe ignored her and Poppy left. She could see where Zoe was coming from because she had been so worried when she found out that Alfie had been in an accident.

"Rowan?" Joe gasped from behind Zoe a few minutes later. He rushed up to his sisters and Zoe stood up; hugging her brother tightly. When she stopped hugging him, she saw that he was crying.

"Joe..." she started. But there was nothing else to say.

"The doctor said... he said she might not wake up and even if she does, she might have brain damage," Joe said; more questioning than stating. Zoe nodded with tears in her eyes.

"She's going to wake up Joe... she has to," Zoe replied.