Chapter 5

"Is she always like that?" Hazel asked Jack once they were back at the house. Jack nodded slightly.

"I met her once and she was like that. Dan and Ciaran have met her too and said she was the female me. Whatever that means," Jack replied.

"It means she comes across as an arrogant arse but is great when you get to know her," Hazel said with a smile.

"Well, for some reason, I doubt we'll get the chance to know her," Jack replied sarcastically.

"Maybe she just had a bad day? You should invite her to the party tonight. She seemed upset," Hazel suggested, feeling bad for the woman.

"No way. I don't want to get involved with her girl issues," Jack argued. Hazel sighed. Jack thought about changing his mind – he felt guilty about not wanting to help Amelia but he didn't want anyone to know he liked her like that. "She's probably just on her period or something," he added as an afterthought.

"Whatever Jack, you can't deny your feelings forever," Hazel said as she left the room.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" Jack called back; blushing and grateful that no one was in the room to see.

...

The next morning, Hazel woke up bright and early despite having a pretty bad hangover and Jack thought she was crazy. "What are you doing up so early?" he asked.

"I'm going to your neighbour's house to see if she's okay," Hazel explained. Jack looked at her.

"Why?" he scoffed.

"Because she looked really upset yesterday and I want to see what's wrong. She seems like she needs a friend," she answered.

"Hazel, give up before you try. Amy is not going to want to be your friend," Jack sighed.

Hazel rolled her eyes. "Dan said her name was Amelia," she said as she made her way to the front door and opened it.

Jack shrugged. "I don't remember to be honest," he lied.

"Whatever Howard," Hazel laughed. Jack was hopeless – Hazel knew exactly how he felt about her and was planning on doing something about it.