Chapter 31 - Finale

Katie’s POV

*still flashback*

I was running down the streets in the pouring rain. My tears mixed with my makeup and dripped down my cheeks. My lungs were burning from the cold air I was sucking in desperately but it felt like a useless endeavor. But no matter how much my lungs and feet hurt I kept on running. I needed to get away as far as I could from this scene that happened over and over again in my head. As if Mother Nature was grieving over my loss as well the rain got even worse and I heard the faint sound of thunder making the atmosphere even more depressing.

No one was on the street, not even cars. It was dark and with the tears-makeup-mix in my eyes it was hard to see where I was heading. I stumbled over the stone curb of a drive way and lost my balance on the slippery ground. With a thud I landed on my knees and palms, feeling the pavement ripping off the tender skin. For a moment I lay there, not comprehending what just happened but when the stinging pain jolted through my arms and legs I heard myself whimper like a little child.

Everything hurt. Not just emotionally but now I was in actual physical pain too. My hands and knees were bleeding and the freezing cold made the stinging even worse. My chest was hollow, my heart was ripped out of it and thrown to the ground. It just … hurt.

The last thing I remember is a pair of lights and a familiar voice calling my name, and the thought of how many times I had been passing out these days.

--

“I told you it was a bad idea to let her go.”

“Can you please shut up already? What’s done is done. She is suffering enough for you to keep on ranting on and on about it.”

“I’m just trying to be a good friend.”

“Then shut up for heaven’s sake.”

It actually made me chuckle listening to Jordan’s and Elly’s hushed fight. But instead of a chuckle a cough was all that came out. I heard some shuffling and a warm dry hand on my forehead. Oh wow, this hand felt so incredibly good. Slowly I opened my eyes and after blinking a couple of times I saw Zacky sitting on my bedside smiling softly. He held my bandaged hand with his other hand while the one on my forehead sank down to my cheek.

“Hey, little one.” He said gently.

“Zack …” I coughed again. Soon Elly appeared in my vision and showed me a glass of water. Still coughing my lungs out I carefully sat up and grabbed the glass to down it in a few gulps. I handed it back to her and leaned my head against the headboard. It was quiet for a moment before I felt the other side of my bed sinking under another one’s weight. Slightly cold fingertips lightly touched my other bandaged hand and I knew it was Jordan.

“How are you feeling, K?” He asked softly and I opened my eyes to look at him. Then I looked to Elly and Zacky.

“I’m alright. I’m with my family.” I smiled softly. All of them mirrored that smile but I saw it in Zacky’s eyes that he knew what I felt deep down inside.

“Well … I have to go and look for some flights. My holidays are over in a few days.” Jordan said after a while and stood with a sigh. He kissed my forehead and left the room. Elly soon followed him saying she had to make some calls for the opening of the youth center and she would cook dinner for us all. That left me and Zacky alone in my bedroom.

We didn’t say anything first. He was looking at me and I was picking on the bandages of my right hand.

“I brought you something.” He said after a while making me look up at him.