Long night .20

One month later

Calum sat in setting that he wishes he wasn't in. It was all to familiar. The rough looking people, the weird section of grime music playing lightly in the background, females walking around half naked, people sitting around high out of their minds. Calum was at the bar with he rested his cheek in his left hand as he dropped his wedding ring from in between his fingers. He watched as it fell and landed on the wooden bar top. He let it rest there before picking up his whiskey and downing it. He glanced around the bar before his eyes landed on a sofa. He closed his eyes at the memory of Emily laying lifelessly on that sofa. It didn't matter where he went. Everything reminded him of her. 

Calum sighed and stood up shrugging on his leather jacket before walking out the back of the bar to the smokers den. Calum fiddled around in his pocket for his newly brought packet of cigarettes and lighter. He placed the white stick between his lips and lite it with ease. Inhaling the smoke, he chocked a little - like a first timer smoking. Calum had quit smoking when Emily got pregnant and hadn't touched one since. Until now of course. Calum finished his cigarette before walking back into the bar and sitting down at a booth. Calum ordered another whiskey and drummed his fingers on the table. 

"You left this on the bar" A voice said making Calum look up to see Jennifer standing there. Her blue eyes had the same shine and her brown hair still long. She was thinner but she looked good still. Calum looked to see what she was holding and rolled his eyes. 

"Keep it for all I care" Calum replied referring to the ring that Jennifer was holding. Calum's drink was placed in front of him as Jennifer slid into the booth, opposite him. Calum looked up at her with an emotionless face. 

"What happened?" Jennifer asked softly, but bluntly. Calum scoffed a little and downed some of his drink. 

"Why would I tell you?" Calum asked making Jennifer frown at him a little. She placed the ring on the table and pushed it across to Calum. Calum watched the ring move towards him. He didn't feel anything, he felt numb. Like all his feelings had been taken with his heart. Torn away from him. 

"Because we were friends" Jennifer reminded him. Calum raised his eyebrows and sipped on his drink. 

"Things have changed since then" Calum said dryly as he placed his near empty glass down on the table. 

"You got married and now you're sitting alone in a bar at 1 am drinking straight whiskey with your wedding ring off, so I'm going to assume you guys are getting divorced or something" Jennifer said narrowing her eyes a little at Calum. Calum sat back in his seat, slumped a little, and let out a harsh laugh. 

"If I'm that easy to read kill me" Calum said making Jennifer shake her head at him. 

"So I'm right?" Jennifer asked 

"We split up, yes and Emily wants to get divorced" Calum said his voice was strong, like it didn't effect him but his eyes told a different story. His eyes were filled with sadness and heartbreak. 

"I'm sorry" Jennifer said sympathetically "What happened?" 

"I was a dick" Calum shrugged as he downed the rest of the whiskey. 

"Other than the obvious" Jennifer sighed and rolled her eyes a little because she was trying to help him, be a friend to him. Clearly he was going through a tough heartbreak, as you would expect. He'd been in love with Emily as long as Jennifer had known him. 

Calum stayed quiet and looked down at his empty glass. He pushed it between his hands. 

"We were a perfect match, but I guess we burnt out" Calum said not looking up at Jennifer. Jennifer remained quiet because she didn't really know what to tell him. Calum looked up at Jennifer with bloodshot eyes.