Okay. 27

Calum held into Emily's hand as they walked into the hospice which Emily's nan was staying in. Emily looked at Calum as they walked through the automatic glass doors leading them into the front desk area. A red rug took up a large amount of the floor and a light wooden desk with against a wall with two receptionists sitting at it.Emily sighed as they approached the desk. 

"Hi there" One of the receptionist said smiling at them 

"Hi we're here to see Wendy Jones" Emily said slowly. The receptionist nodded and typed onto the computer. Calum looked over to the other receptionist, who was staring at him. She gave him a small smile before awkwardly looking away. Calum sighed a little before rubbing under his eye with his free hand. 

"I'll message her nurse" The receptionist smiled at Emily. Emily nodded and thanked her before walking a little away from the desk. Calum and Emily stood facing one another. Emily stared at the floor as they stood in silence. 

"You okay?" Calum mumbled a little looking down at her in concern. Emily looked up at him and nodded as a nurse in a white uniform came over to them. 

"Hi, you must be Emily?" The nurse said looking at Emily, who just nodded at her. "I've heard lots about you. If you'd like to follow me I'll take you through" The nurse said gesturing for them to follow after her. Emily let go of Calum's hand as they walked through double doors and down a coridor which looked like a care home. The cream walls had photographs of flowers and landscapes and it smelt like antibacterial gel. "I must warn you" The nurse said stopping outside a room. "She's not great" 

"It's okay, I've seen worse" Emily said with a small smile. The nurse gave her a sympathetic smile before she looked into the room. Emily still hated that look.

"She hasn't forgotten you" The nurse whispered before opening the door. "Wendy you have visitors!" 

Emily walked into the room to see her nan in a armchair looking out the window into a large garden. Her white hair was patching from hair loss due to her chemotherapy and her skin looked like she'd been in a bath for months - pale and wrinkled. She looked weak and fragile. Nothing like Emily had known in her life, her nan was always fall of life and acting younger than her age. Emily froze and looked back at Calum. Calum looked over to her nan before back to Emily. He gave her a sad look before she turned back. Calum rubbed her back as they walked into the room. 

"Hi Nan" Emily said as they got to the side of the armchair. Wendy looked up at her before she knelt down beside the arm chair. Wendy looked at her with soft eyes as she brought a shaky hand up to her face. 

"Emily?" 

"Hi" Emily smiled a little placing her hand on top of Wendy's. "How are you?" 

"I'm okay" Wendy nodded before she looked up at Calum. "Who is your company?" 

"It's Calum, remember him? My husband?" Emily said slowly. Wendy looked at Calum before back to Emily. 

"You got married?" Wendy asked making Emily's heart sink at the thought of her not remembering her wedding day. "Where was my invite?" 

"You were there" Emily replied making Wendy frown at her before she shrug

"I'm sorry I can't remember" She mumbled making Emily press her lips together even though this was pretty painful because her nan was always there for her when she needed her, but Emily wasn't around for her when she needed her. "Didn't you date someone in school called Calum?" 

"Same guy" Emily chuckled a little making Wendy look at her. 

"You married him?" Wendy asked making Emily nod at her. "That's most romantic"